We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancelled aer lingus flight

ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
cancelled aer lingus flight

Was due to fly back from Malaga last Sunday night to Belfast.Flight was cancelled .Aer lingus paid for hotel and transfers etc.Am I correct in thinking I am also entitled to compensation under EC Reg 261/2004/EC?This all relates to ongoing cabin crew dispute.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,633 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancelled aer lingus flight

It would depend on the exact reason given for the cancellation.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cancelled aer lingus flight

You should write to the airline asking for the official reason for the cancellation. Only once you have that can you then decide what action to take but on the face of it you may well be entitled to compensation of 400 euros per passenger.

According to flightstats the flight was cancelled a full 24 hours before take off which begs the question what reasonable measures did the airline take or could have taken to avoid the cancellation?

You won't automatically receive compensation and you may have to take this to small claims court to receive the compensation purportedly owed as airlines rarely pay up without a fight.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cancelled aer lingus flight

As said by Baz there is a labor dispute at the moment and Aerlingus has to cancel flights as there a not enough FA Crews for all the flights.

My thursday flight to Orlando is canceled, they offered me options, including a BA flight through London which I happily accepted.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,454 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cancelled aer lingus flight

I think Aer Lingus have been having problems for the last couple of weeks. Some dispute over new rotas.

If you do pursue a claim you have to file it in the country from which you flew from.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,079 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancelled aer lingus flight

I believe that the ruling on this has been passed back to the European Court of Justice. I could be wrong though, anyone?

I also suspect that labour disputes come under the heading of extraordinary circumstances beyond the airlines control so I doubt you are due compensation but does no harm to ask. At least they did right by you hotel wise etc.

ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cancelled aer lingus flight

Thanks guys.Will sue in Small Claims but way Aer Lingus is going it might be like taking feathers off a frog!!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cancelled aer lingus flight

>>If you do pursue a claim you have to file it in the country from which you flew from.<<

You can file the claim in either the country of departure or that of arrival. See ECJ Case 204/2008 Rehder v Air Baltic.

Edited: 02 February 2011, 10:36
ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cancelled aer lingus flight

Thank you.That is very useful

9. Re: cancelled aer lingus flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2012, 06:16