We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport Expiry

Gliese 581 D
Level Contributor
601 posts
Save Topic
Passport Expiry

My passport expires on January 28th 2012. I've just booked a flight that departs from the UK to the US on July 19th but returns on July 28th (arriving in the UK on July 29th)... Btw I hold a British passport.

So when I board the flight in the US to come back home it'll have exactly 6 months left to run. When I arrive in the UK it'll have 5 months and 30 days left. Am I going to be okay with the whole 6 month expiry thing?

From what I've read (this information is a few years old though) the 6 month rule doesn't even apply to UK travellers going to the US aslong as they're due to return home before the expiry date on their passport. But that information is a few years old so I'm not sure if that's still the case, or if it was ever the case for that matter.

Basically I'm 99% sure I'll be okay but would really like your assurances that this is the case.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,858 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport Expiry

You will be fine. As long as you can show intended return to the UK, or US exit, prior to the expiry date... es no probelmo.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport Expiry

I think this question must get an official answer. Email the American embassy in London... and get an official respond.

remember that if something goes wrong it will ruin your whole trip. regulations may change with no further notice so it's better to be 100% sure.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,845 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport Expiry

Does my British passport have to be valid for six months beyond my date of departure from the United States?

No, if your passport is not valid for at least six months beyond your date of departure from the United States, it will not affect your eligibility to travel. The United States has an agreement with the United Kingdom automatically extending the validity of a passport for six months past the passport's expiration date. Therefore, your passport need remain valid only for the duration of your stay in the United States.

If you are travelling visa free under the Visa Waiver Program and your passport is not valid for 90 days, you will be admitted into the United States until the date on which the passport expires.

fco.gov.uk/en/…united-states

Edited: 01 February 2011, 19:35
Gliese 581 D
Level Contributor
601 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport Expiry

Thanks for the replies and thanks for putting my mind at rest :)

Beijing
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport Expiry

Jansen

You could have one day left before expiry in your British Passport and still be able to travel back to the UK. The six month validity is generally arriving in overseas countries.

Have a look on the Identity & Passport website:

ips.gov.uk/cps/…index.htm

You can renew your passport earlier than the expiry date.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,554 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport Expiry

You could just renew the pasport before you leave. The passport agency will add (I think) up to six months on to a new passport to cover any time left on the original one.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,496 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passport Expiry

They will add up to nine months to cover for time left on a passport.

Chicago
Level Contributor
76 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passport Expiry

Renew your passport. US immigration, like all immigration, can be rude (even to UK citizens). As an American who has dealt with how rude my people, don't take chances. It is not worth it.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Passport Expiry

I checked with the US embassy in London once and was told there wouldn't be a problem having just under 6 months left on my passport as long as I had a return ticket.

When I reached US immigration (Minneapolis) I was told in no uncertain terms that only she, the Immigration Officer, would decide whether or not to let me in to the country, and not the US embassy. She then asked if I was too mean to pay to renew my passport (I bit my tongue rather than point out that it was, in fact, still valid).

She let me in but it wasn't a pleasant welcome to the US.

I'd renew it and add the extra months on to the new passport.

10. Re: Passport Expiry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2012, 06:16