We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia, Strictly enforced carry-on rules MIA to FCO ???

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
997 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Alitalia, Strictly enforced carry-on rules MIA to FCO ???

Flying Alitalia MIA-FCO.

Carry-on limit is 1 bag up to 8 kg (about 17 lbs.).

Does anyone know how strictly these rules are enforced these days?

Thanks.

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
997 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alitalia, Strictly enforced carry-on rules MIA to FCO ???

What I actually want to know is how likely it is that someone from Alitalia will actually weigh the carry-on bags? Airlines all have size/weight rules.....but no one ever really weighs or measures.

Thanks again.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,370 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alitalia, Strictly enforced carry-on rules MIA to FCO ???

The easiest option is to ensure your hand luggage is within the rules then there will be no problem.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alitalia, Strictly enforced carry-on rules MIA to FCO ???

<<but no one ever really weighs or measures.>>

I know airlines that do. These limits are in place for the comfort of all - why should you not comply?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,149 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alitalia, Strictly enforced carry-on rules MIA to FCO ???

USA airlines don't weigh bags usually here at home but in Europe they often weigh everything. Alitalia in Europe weighs bags that look big.

I don't know what they do in Florida but I'd be prepared to follow the rules just in case.

Ferrara, Italy
Level Contributor
334 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alitalia, Strictly enforced carry-on rules MIA to FCO ???

I took that flight a few months ago, and my carryon was not weighed or even looked at. That doesn't mean they won't weigh yours. Still, in general and in my experience, Alitalia tends to be a little more lenient than other airlines, my guess is that they probably would not make a fuss if it's only 1-2 kg over.

6. Re: Alitalia, Strictly enforced carry-on rules MIA to FCO ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 February 2012, 07:22