We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finnair ok?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Finnair ok?

How is Finnair? Reviews I get so far are mixed, nothing earthshattering. The price now is good for the journey I want (SIN-CDG via HEL) but not so good that I'm completely discounting other choices. Not a high maintenance traveller, just need the basics - reasonably comfortable seats, clean, safe, on time, no lost baggage etc. I'm aware of the short connecting times and will probably go for a longer connection where possible to avoid rushes in case one leg arrives late if I do go with Finnair.

The main other competitors are Emirates and Qatar which are both very slightly more pricey. I've flown Emirates before (SIN-LHR via DXB) and found it excellent except that I hated the stop on a leg which is also present for the SIN-CDG trip. Never flown Qatar before.

Would be very grateful for comments on Finnair, esp if you have taken it recently!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,934 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finnair ok?

Finnair have put a lot of work into building a strong presence on routes from HEL to Asia, and have done a good job with it.

I've had nothing but good to very good flights with AY on short haul (up to four hour) flights within Europe, and would certainly book with the airline at any time. Crew are professional, planes clean and well maintained and catering decent enough for airline food.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finnair ok?

I've used them a few times from AMS to PEK and they were fine. most times we had a 2 hour window for transfer and had no problems with that.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finnair ok?

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Finnair - on my long-haul trips from JFK to HEL I have really liked the airline's friendly professional staff and modern aircraft. I also enjoy Helsinki airport and the Via Spa there!

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
167 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finnair ok?

We flew Finnair last summer from Toronto to Helsinki. Our plane was very old with only a 29" seat pitch. It was very uncomfortable. From Helsinki to Copenhagen we were on a newer plane and we were quite happy. Check what kind of plane you'd be flying on. We found the service on the plane to be quite good.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
89 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finnair ok?

I'm not sure about their economy product but from what I have heard it's OK.

Transit through HEL is easy although the airport can become very busy at times.

I use Finnair annually in business class from HKG to CDG via HEL and considering value for money it's OK. They are generally not as expensive as a number of other airlines.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finnair ok?

Never flown them personally but it's a really popular (and cheap) choice for ex-pats in Japan to go to Europe. People I've spoken to have really recommended it.

Qatar is another excellent choice, though Doha Airport is small (new airport should be ready later this year?) so avoid a long stopover.

Emirates can be hit and miss. If you haven't flown them for a while, you might notice a slip in standards.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finnair ok?

Thanks to everyone! In particular I was wondering about Finnair vs Qatar, with Qatar just around $20 more expensive but with much better reviews online.... I would rather not be penny wise pound foolish with things like connecting flights, delays and lost baggage which will surely put a dampener on the trip. Thoughts?

8. Re: Finnair ok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2012, 05:20