We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smart Phone Boarding pass vs Printed Boarding Pass

Central Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Smart Phone Boarding pass vs Printed Boarding Pass

There will always be the arguments for and against the use of mobile phone 'apps' to display a scan-able pass instead of a boarding pass. However, I have come across a new problem.

I was allocated a seat and had a nice electronic boarding pass but the seat was also allocated to another passenger (due a computer glitch) despite being on the aircraft first *I* was the one pulled as the other passenger had a nice shiny printed-at-the-airport cardboard boarding pass and that trumps a mobile phone *EVERY* time. (I am a top grade frequent flier with that airline too)

So if it works - fine, but if there are any problems you are going to lose against an airline issued paper boarding pass.

Frankfort, Indiana
Level Contributor
836 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Smart Phone Boarding pass vs Printed Boarding Pass

I've been involved in the duplicate paper boarding passes before and I believe it was resolved by the check-in time, not time of boarding. I may be wrong, but I believe that's how the situation was explained to me. Could easily be the case in the OP's situation also.

london-den...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Smart Phone Boarding pass vs Printed Boarding Pass

i think that just about sums it up. the paper boarding card is tangible, in your hands for all to see and as mentioned, printed by the airline co. etc.

surprisingly, double bookings to the same seat do happen, i would never have believed it myself until it happened to me once, many years ago, just before e-check-in came about. i was on a flight from cdg-lhr. the fact that my bum was on the seat first trumped the other fella...ahh yes, the good old days!

oh i forgot. .. i always have a backup plan (i guess only an i.t. nerd would do this), i'd print the paper one, at least for a while until this method is familiar. i used to always carry a map in the car, despite having sat-nav on my mobile but then, that's just me.

Edited: 21 November 2011, 11:01
Madrid
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Smart Phone Boarding pass vs Printed Boarding Pass

You also need a paper BP for a retroactive claim of frequent flyer miles/avios of they dont post automatically.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Smart Phone Boarding pass vs Printed Boarding Pass

I would not do electronic because I'd always want paper as a backup (plus as said sometimes its necessary when the miles arent credited) - my phone might hang at the wrong moment etc, and then once you have the paper, why bother fiddling with a phone?

The two times it happened to me (ie duplicate seats) I was first and already sitting on the plane, but did still get moved, however I didn't complain as one time I was bumped economy-> business, and the other economy->first !

Edited: 21 November 2011, 11:24
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,814 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Smart Phone Boarding pass vs Printed Boarding Pass

On Qantas when you use your mobile phone to display the boarding pass you are given a simple paper pass with your name the flight details and the seat allocation (8cm square no logo or fancy printing.) It prints automatically when you scan the phone.

16. Re: Smart Phone Boarding pass vs Printed Boarding Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2013, 10:17