We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage allowance for two - to share or not to share?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
19 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage allowance for two - to share or not to share?

Hi there,

got into a funny trouble at CDG with AirFrance.

Our only piece of luggage for two persons was as heavy as 27 kg. Baggage allowance for one person is 20 kg, so, as I supposed, 27 was less than 2*20=40 and it was okay. And how surprised I was when I heard that every piece of luggage should have not exceed the 20 kg restriction and so I had to pay for overweight!

I managed to reduce weight to 23kg and they let me in, but still I'm in doubt: what if they just tried to cheat me (the pay for extra weight was around 100 euros) and the allowance was joint? What are the regulations on this stuff?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage allowance for two - to share or not to share?

Most airlines are pretty clear about size and weight limits for each item. You can plug your travel details in here:

airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/common/guidevoyageur/p…

and it'll give you the Air France specifics.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage allowance for two - to share or not to share?

Yes it really does depend on each individual airline

One has allowed us to take one suitcase for 2 people so long as the total weight doesn't exceed 32kgs

Another only allowed a maximum of 20kg per suitcase per person

If only one suitcase and 2 people it could still only weight 20kgs

Edited: 07 February 2011, 09:24
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage allowance for two - to share or not to share?

Airlines luggage/baggage allowances are specified in their terms and conditions. A few airlines I have travelled with recently (Aus/USA) have the same policy being to NOT allow you to combine your allowances (23kg per bag economy/coach) (The maximum weight for a bag is 32kg in any class). The same airlines a few years back allowed you to combine. I checked Air France - theirs is the same. It pays to know before you go...

Edited: 07 February 2011, 09:26
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
19 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage allowance for two - to share or not to share?

Thank you all very much. AF conditions clearly say that the limit applies for each piece.

But this isn't so easy: I booked my flight with Austrian Airlines and it was combined. When I flew from Vienna to Paris it was Austrian's plane, and back - Air France's. Whose rules should apply in this situation? As I understood, Austrian allow joint limits.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,842 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage allowance for two - to share or not to share?

Unless the airline charges extra per bag the simplest option is just to have a bag each.

It also makes sense to have a bag each as you can then put half of each person's baggage into different bags so that if one bag doesn't arrive you arne't goosed

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage allowance for two - to share or not to share?

>>When I flew from Vienna to Paris it was Austrian's plane, and back - Air France's. Whose rules should apply in this situation?

The rules of the carrier you are using. So Austrian Airlines outbound, AF inbound.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage allowance for two - to share or not to share?

Typically the reason bags can't exceed a certain weight (normally 32kilos - I've not heard of 20kilos) is for OH&S reasons.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,842 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage allowance for two - to share or not to share?

"Typically the reason bags can't exceed a certain weight (normally 32kilos - I've not heard of 20kilos) is for OH&S reasons."

I suspect in this case the weight limit per passenger is 23kg but that passengers can't pool their luggage allowance between them so they can carry more in less bags

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baggage allowance for two - to share or not to share?

This is a perfect example where ALL airlines flying the same type of aircraft (i.e. A320) should have the same baggage allowances.

As much as I overpack, I understand the need for the weight. The more weight, the more fuel you burn on a good day. I used to travel with my 29" suitcase (for 10 days) but I've learned to pack in a 26" suitcase and keep it to about 46 pounds (limit is 50 lbs). When i fly JetBlue I will sometimes bring a second/smaller suitcase (extra bag charge is about $30) which is cheaper than overweight.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,842 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Baggage allowance for two - to share or not to share?

"This is a perfect example where ALL airlines flying the same type of aircraft (i.e. A320) should have the same baggage allowances. "

Why? Different airlines have different configurations and low costs airlines generally discourage people from checking luggage.

If you can't be bothered to read the baggage rules for an airline why should you expect people to accommodate your requests