We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just how bad are Aeroflot

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Just how bad are Aeroflot

At the moment flights to Hong Kong for October/November are about £600.

Aeroflot have a flight at less than £400.

Just how bad are they ?

196 replies to this topic
Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,444 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

> A couple of years ago, a young lady I knew...

One more "reviewer" with no personal experience...

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,920 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

fatbeetle

" One can only presume it’s American reviewers sharing their “unique” perspectives on the rest of the world."

let's see there are 18 comments on this thread ( after you subtract the deleted posts) Two are by Americans. One says get insurance and one is positive toward Aeroflot. Your comment is an example of the worst type of ignorant stereotyping--without even looking at facts!

Aus
Level Contributor
100 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

Thank you"Sunmagic"

. I did not respond to other people's onion as 'stupid" though, I responded to other people's negative criticism of an airway which they have no personal experience of as stupid.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

<<I've just paid for a trip back to Blighty for my family from Australia, with Quantas/Aeroflot.

We paid $2000 less (for three of us) than the fare we originally considered with Emirates, and $1000 cheaper than Air China /Korea air. Considering this will be partially with Quantas, I think we’ve got a reasonable deal.

The whole Aeroflot & change in Moscow/Hong Kong adds to the journey, rather than detracts from its appeal. I'm rather looking forward to it all. I will feed back here in January, when we return.>>

Just a heads up. Unfortunately for Aeroflot's Winter 2011 schedule, they have switched from their Airbus A330 (installed with personal TVs) to a Boeing 767 (overhead TVs only) due to the decrease in demand for these months. And beware of the nasty catering, especially the mystery bread & meats, from Moscow. ex-Hong Kong is good, as they're served by Cathay Pacific catering.

In my experience, they're an ok airline. Certainly not "OMG. Get flight insurance for sure. I would not fly them in a million years" (the same responses when people ask about Air India, Air China, etc. - but these airlines have all improved a lot in recent years) but of course, not up to the standards of Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines. If the price difference is significant, I have no problem in flying them.

Edited: 29 August 2011, 14:14
London
Level Contributor
8,436 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

As steve ben posted the question back in February perhaps he could tell us if he decided to book Aeroflot.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

Hi wanderin_star

No i decided against taking Aeroflot. What with the opinions voiced on here, together with the prospect of 16 hours in transit in Moscow airport, it didnt seem such an attractive prospect

Aus
Level Contributor
100 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

Thanks for the advice and tips toyotaboy95

This is interesting;

World's Most Improved Airline

1. China Southern Airlines

2. Air China

3. Aeroflot Russian Airlines

Read more: smh.com.au/travel/…ixzz1WTytdvw9

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

I think the final nail in the coffin was the prospect of 16 hours in Moscow airport

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,263 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

I've never flown Aeroflot, and (simply because of my location and business) probably won't fly them any time soon.

But, everything I've heard from independent reviews of their service and people that have flown them, I would have no problems trying them out. People have said the same about Air China, who I have flown several times and noticed a marked improvement in service over the last 6 years.

However, I would have a problem transiting at Moscow without a visa. Stuff happens - volcanic ash clouds and hurricanes - and I wouldn't want to be stranded at an airport for several days.

That's nothing against the airline. Neither would I consider transiting through India (even on Kingfisher) or China without visas for the same reason. And now that I have them in both these cases CA, IT and 9W are very much on my flight options. It would be the same with Russia and SU.

30. Re: Just how bad are Aeroflot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 August 2011, 06:46
Edited: 30 August 2011, 06:46

Reply to: Just how bad are Aeroflot
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted