We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental reserved economy seats

Scotland
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Continental reserved economy seats

We're due to fly from Glasgow to Las Vegas, via Newark, with Continental in less than 2 weeks and our seats are near the back of the planes but we prefer to be nearer the front. When I checked the seating charts online I noticed that there are quite a number of free seats at the front reserved for elite OnePass members etc.

I was therefore wondering if Continental release these seats in the days before the flight or will we have to wait until we check in to try and move forward.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental reserved economy seats

Hey gingerscot:-) Sounds like you're talking about the premium economy seats..which are usually kept on hold for their premium elite clientele..they also oftentimes offer them as an option on their site to purchase at of course a higher rate than regular economy;-) Have a great trip..and ENjOY!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental reserved economy seats

Pull up your reservation online at the continental.com site, and click on the tab for "view/change seats". If other (more desirable) seats are available, you will be able to change your seating right away. If better seats still do not show up as available, check the tab again within 24 hours of flight time.

I'm not sure that online check in is available on international flights, but unoccupied premium seats often become available to all once check in begins. If you cannot change your seats online, get to the airport early and inquire as to what is available.

The good news is that Continental does honor seat assignments that are reserved in advance. If you can get yourselves booked into better seats, they are yours ... except in the event of something like an canceled flight that results in merging onto another flight.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,945 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental reserved economy seats

If the seats on the seating chart are colored bright blue and are described as for elite members, you will not be able to access them on line unless you are a Continental elite frequent flier. Even then, some of these are only available to gold or platinum levels, not silver elite. If there are seats available for which you qualify, you need to make the changes before the 24 hour period before the flight begins; after that you generally cannot access the change your seat option online. It might also be worth a call to Continental to find out if you can be reassigned now, or if you can be reassigned for a fee, or when you might be able to have a chance to get those seats.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,214 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental reserved economy seats

I assume the free seats that you are referring to are those in Rows 8, 20 & 21 which Continental describe as "extra legroom" seats which normally carry an additional fee unless you are a Plantinum or Gold Elite Member.

I would not expect Continental to release these seats in the days before the flight as they will probably assume that some customers will defer the purchase of these seats until the check in stage in the hope of getting them at a bargain price.

You are still free to change your allocated seats to any available standard economy seat neaer the front i.e. Rows 9 - 14 via the online "View/Change Reservations" facility.

TomC

Scotland
Level Contributor
280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Continental reserved economy seats

The seats I am referring to are those in rows 9-14, as I am not bothered about extra legroom as I'm only 5' 7".

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Continental reserved economy seats

Call Continental to inquire about a change in seating.

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Continental reserved economy seats

Two summers ago we flew Continental to Milan. We also had reserved seats in the back, but I kept on checking frequently. As I expected, additional seats were released as it became evident that they would not be reserved by elites. Check frequently on the "change seat" in your booking section and these seats may become available. I wouldn't wait to check until 24 hours before flight-I would do it every day or so.

8. Re: Continental reserved economy seats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 21:20