We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to flying..what about vaseline and toothpaste??

CA
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
New to flying..what about vaseline and toothpaste??

Will the airline consider these items "liquids"? We are trying to travel with no checked bags--only carry on--so I am carefully considering all of our items. Very new to traveling and am trying to be compliant with "liquid" rules. I think Vaseline and toothpaste should be OK but what do I know??? Thanks al!!!

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New to flying..what about vaseline and toothpaste??

Toothpaste definitely qualifies as a 'gel' and I suspect vaseline will as well. Your airline's website should have section on security explaining all this.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New to flying..what about vaseline and toothpaste??

I believe the rule of thumb is if you can spill it, spray it, spread it, squeeze it, smear it, pump it or pour it then it's a liquid.

Vaseline and toothpaste certainly fall into those.

Editted to say...yes I remembered them all!

http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/311-insert.pdf

Edited: 23 February 2011, 05:46
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New to flying..what about vaseline and toothpaste??

Yes toothpaste counts as a gel. The small mini tubes are ok when included in the (1quart) clear plastic bag. I'm pretty sure vaseline is too. But both should be rather easily available at your final destination, so I wouldn't worry.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New to flying..what about vaseline and toothpaste??

Have traveled with small container (1.75 oz./49 g.) of Vaseline in the handbag since 9/11. It was never confiscated.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New to flying..what about vaseline and toothpaste??

<<if you can spill it, spray it, spread it, squeeze it, smear it, pump it or pour it>>

Speedbird, reading that i can't help but sing it to the tune of that old Spice Girls Song "who do you think you are"

'You've got to swing it, shake it, move it, make it, who do you think you are!

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
245 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New to flying..what about vaseline and toothpaste??

Last year I went through security with a very small, nearly empty, container of vaseline in my cabin bag, not my plastic bag.

It was confiscated by a very smug young lady implying that I should desist in such terroristic activities.

Park.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New to flying..what about vaseline and toothpaste??

Vaseline is fine, if the toothpaste is under 100mg then that will also be ok!

ada
cardiff
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New to flying..what about vaseline and toothpaste??

max 100ml for both and put it all in your liquids bag - saves some 'jobsworth' argueing about the vaseline and embarassing/delaying you in front of a queue of unsympathetic seasoned travellers - i use the rules 'if in doubt show it to official' and ' the rules can cover whatever the official feels like on the day' . Obviously the rules are daft as you could take up to 10 x 100ml containers of any substance and enough vaseline to smear the whole plane if in a group, hahaha. Remember you can buy what you like on airside and at destination, and you can put your liquid bag in your pockets if you cant fit it into your one carry-on - there have been various hilarious-but-useful youtube links on how to pack for carry-on on this forum.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New to flying..what about vaseline and toothpaste??

Vaseline is classed as a liquid, just as mascara, face creams etc are.

Bronx, New York
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: New to flying..what about vaseline and toothpaste??

I normally use Vaseline over and over again. But then we should keep in mind that it is a liquid product.

Vaseline = www.chemistdirect.co.uk/vaseline_7_172.html

Edited: 21 April 2012, 09:55