We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

be aware of the bogus company called Wholesale Traveler!!!

BOSTON
1 post
Save Topic
be aware of the bogus company called Wholesale Traveler!!!

These people let you search for flights on their sites and return for an awfully low fare but require for you to call them in order to book the flights, when you call them, the price suddenly changes and becomes for example, from $400 to over $1600!!! I tried this with a couple of different customer service reps and same thing, their excuse: Oh the flight is sold out... which is a bunch of bull because I'm booking 6 months in advance!

They are so fake I'm surprised they are even allowed to operate a site! You can't book online but only over the phone. Try them, you'll see.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,610 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: be aware of the bogus company called Wholesale Traveler!!!

The website is full of poor English and spelling mistakes; according to the "Contact Us" page you can apparently speak to "tavel agents".

I just tried a dummy booking from PDX to LHR for a random date in August, return 7 days later. Their search engine responds with "Our system wasn’t able to price the tickets for you, due to the complicated schedule."

When I switched the outbound to be from SEA, it provided ludicrously low fares ($441 return on LH, in August) with the *, referring to the small print that states the fares are based on travel originating in New York in the low season.

I'm thinking "is there really a search engine there, or do they wait for 10 seconds and just print out a couple of random JFK-LHR special offer prices from a look up table?"

Certainly doesn't look like a reliable business to me.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: be aware of the bogus company called Wholesale Traveler!!!

BOSTON: Where do you want to go and when?

Miami, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: be aware of the bogus company called Wholesale Traveler!!!

They have the worst Customer Service. Hard Core Sales - pushy - Rude - Bad attitude. Long wait, long holds. They do not have Supervisors. They do not monitor their calls. A rep. by the name of Jarrett told me to go back to me country, pr ick. If you don't buy today they tell you to call back when you are ready to buy. They ask you for a budget and if you go too low they tell you they don't sell it there. If too high then that's what you will pay. The prices on the internet basically mean absolutelly nothing, with the story that they don't include the taxes. The web says to give them a code when calling but it doesn't mean anything to them. They won't even ask you for the code or input it anywhere. They claim it is illegal to put the taxes on the internet. They invent whatever information they can come up to confuse you. AVOID this company at all cost. You'll be better off going somewhere else. Awful!

Edited: 30 March 2011, 21:46
England, United...
Level Contributor
13,041 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: be aware of the bogus company called Wholesale Traveler!!!

Don't book with them then!

Not difficult, is it?

" Bait & Switch " scams are common the world over.

Can you report them to a "Better Business Bureau" if you really want to clip their wings, so to speak?

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: be aware of the bogus company called Wholesale Traveler!!!

Horrible customer service. I booked a DREAM vacation to celebrate a graduation. Got a wonderful quote. Things were booked according to plan. When I questioned why I had not received tickets, I was told the flights were NEVER CONFIRMED. I was dressed down by staff and management for contacting the airline directly. Clearly the ball was dropped on their end. No apology until I talked to a different manager who promised to refund me 3 travel vouchers for about 1/10 my $ (not to mention the time). Did I ever receive the vouchers? No. Never use this company. Smoke and mirrors should be their motto. Do not believe the sidebar promises for low cost and personalized service. Absolutely terrible company.

Daydream Island...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: be aware of the bogus company called Wholesale Traveler!!!

The travel game is the oldest hustle since the invent of commercial travel. There really isn't much of an excuse to get bamboozled these days with the internet. The information is out there, for better or worse, just find it.

Forget the Better Business Bureau. They're part of the problem, not the solution. For the right price they will make a cow pie into a rose.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 03:18
Daydream Island...
Level Contributor
4,493 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: be aware of the bogus company called Wholesale Traveler!!!

I just looked at their website and I'm sorry you got taken, but there are several clear indicators that this is a back room business. You did not do your homework. You are at fault here. Sorry. Chalk it up to experience and know when to try to save a dollar and when to pay for what you get.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,507 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: be aware of the bogus company called Wholesale Traveler!!!

Thanks for the heads up.

Farmington, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: be aware of the bogus company called Wholesale Traveler!!!

I had a similar experience. The customer service agent actually hung up on me after I called him of the bogus online price compared to actual prices they had available. After reading several other similar reviews, I am very glad I did not book with this company!

South West England
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: be aware of the bogus company called Wholesale Traveler!!!

Indeed. I couldn't book a flight from LHR to JFK six months in advance due to the "complicated schedule" despite there being several direct flights with various carriers.

Good job I already have my flight booked isn't it.