We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Second Class Citizen Holiday-makers?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Second Class Citizen Holiday-makers?

Hi! 'Out There'

My question is one that has given me and many other Northern Ireland citizens of the UK, many hours of mental unrest and one which still causes much perplexity.

How come we British citizens in N.Ireland, UK, are charged about £200 more than our fellow British citizens on Mainland Britian to fly to the Canary Islands with Thomas Cook Holidays? And why does Thomas Cook Holidays never include holiday deals from Belfast International Airport to Fuerteventura and the other Canary Islands? Are we in Belfast, N.Ireland, UK not classed as equal citizens of the State of Great Britain & Northern Ireland? Is our English pounds in some way less in value than the other coin of the British realm? What does the Fair Trading agencies say about this issue? How about a fair playing field in the holiday industry?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,013 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Second Class Citizen Holiday-makers?

It's the same for flights from Scotland & Northern England. Assuming of course you can actually find flights.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Second Class Citizen Holiday-makers?

The last time I checked into the matter, price of these items was determined by a combination of supply, demand and cost to operate, rather than your citizenship.

I wonder though why you are limiting your proposal of a flat rate to the UK? Why not expand that to the EU, same thing applies surely? Why no flat rate to Canary Islands from NI, Spain, the Hebrides, or Finland?

If you think its too much, don't buy it, move elsewhere, or start your own holiday company, where at £200 less than everyone else I suspect you'd very quickly find that you can't make up a loss per sale on volume.

Or did it escape your notice that the number of holiday companies drops every year as some go bankrupt? (due in large part to the unrealistic expectations of the Lesser Spotted British Holidaymaker.)

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Second Class Citizen Holiday-makers?

Airline pricing has to do with supply and demand. My guess is your region has lower supply (fewer airlines/flights) therefore they can charge a premium out of those cities to maximize their profit. Airlines don't care about your nationality, color of your skin, where you live, how tall you are, what you do for a living, ..... They only care about your money.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Second Class Citizen Holiday-makers?

<<What does the Fair Trading agencies say about this issue? >>

Probably a question better addressed to them.

Have you tried Thomsons?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Second Class Citizen Holiday-makers?

Thank you for your reply, but you miss the fact that Thomas Cook has the monopoly on flights out to Fuerteventura from Belfast International Airport. Therefore, Cook has no competition to the prices it sets for Belfast holiday-makers.

All Belfast holiday-makers want is a fair deal, an even 'playing field' - and it that takes in the entire European Union countries, fair enough!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,177 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Second Class Citizen Holiday-makers?

> All Belfast holiday-makers want is a fair deal, an even 'playing field' - and it that takes in the entire European Union countries, fair enough!

Then convince another airline to fly the route and generate some competition. But my guess is that there isn't enough demand.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,034 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Second Class Citizen Holiday-makers?

>>Thank you for your reply, but you miss the fact that Thomas Cook has the monopoly on flights out to Fuerteventura from Belfast International Airport.

Well there's the answer to your question then.

Not sure what all the 'second-class citizens' stuff was about if you already knew about the monopoly.

Edited: 25 February 2011, 14:01
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Second Class Citizen Holiday-makers?

Okay then 'Lexi', what about the holiday 'deal offers' from Cook then? Why are Belfast holiday makers NOT included in the list of deals on offer?

Oh. Your not a Thomas Cook representative, are you? Emmm...

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,034 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Second Class Citizen Holiday-makers?

>>Okay then 'Lexi', what about the holiday 'deal offers' from Cook then? Why are Belfast holiday makers NOT included in the list of deals on offer?

Perhaps for the same reason.

Edited: 25 February 2011, 14:08
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Second Class Citizen Holiday-makers?

Perhaps for the same reason.

Perhaps, but does that make it fair and equal? I don't think so. And, remember this, I ANYTHING of a benefit to holiday makers comes out of my bringing up this question of Cook's prices, then you guys in Scotland will benefit too. One for one, and one for all, right? Scotland the brau!