We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air New Zealand V Emirates ?

Warwick, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Air New Zealand V Emirates ?

Have made the decision to vist folks in New Zealand over christmas . Now to decide who to fly with , Birmingham and Heathrow are doable from where we live . Have read most awful reviews of Emirates of late but they do go from Birmingham. Air New Zealand look good and would go to our destination directly . Can't decide whether to make the effort and fly from Heathrow or go from Birmingham and take a chance

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air New Zealand V Emirates ?

I have not flown with either airline, but no question about it I'd opt for Air New Zealand instead of Emirates.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,499 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air New Zealand V Emirates ?

I've got to admit, I'm a sucker for Air New Zealand. Professional without being smarmy. This is on at least ten flights over 20 years - and none of them a dud. I've also flown Virgin and BA (amongst others) and none of them come close to the sevice I've received from Air NZ.

Don't worry - its only a 24 flght (plus refuelling) from the U.K. :)

Edited: 25 February 2011, 21:40
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,112 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air New Zealand V Emirates ?

Air NZ everytime :)

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,499 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air New Zealand V Emirates ?

These days I'd opt for the Air NZ via Hong Kong option rather than Los Angeles - purely because of the 'joy' of clearing immigration whilst still in immigration.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,499 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air New Zealand V Emirates ?

Sorry - clearing immigration whilst still in transit was what I meant to say.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
121 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Air New Zealand V Emirates ?

I'm the complete opposite. Having flown both I Would choose Emirates without a doubt.

Have had terrible experiences on almost all flights I have had with Air NZ to the point where in will only fly on domestic regional services where no other airline flies.

Emirates on the other hand have been outstanding! And being able to fly direct from Birmingham and able to take the A380 on the DXB to AKL leg would be the icing on the cake for me.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,360 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air New Zealand V Emirates ?

i have only flown shorthaul emirates from Brisbane to Auckland and it was fine . Air NZ is fine too but very cramped on my last flight to Sydney.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air New Zealand V Emirates ?

I haven't flown Air NZ but friends have (long-haul), and rave about them. I've flown Emirates and while standards have slipped, you still could do a lot worse. Aside from the extra travel, is price a factor? Emirates are usually quite cheap.

But I don't think Air NZ is direct. You would still have to go via the USA (San Fran/LA) or Asia (Shanghai Pudong, I think). As others have mentioned, transiting in the US is not pleasant. If you transit through mainland China (ie not Hong Kong), check if you need a visa for this.

Either option, I think you will still have to have one transit after you leave the UK.

Canada
Level Contributor
148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air New Zealand V Emirates ?

Air NZ is cramming 10 abreast in Economy Class on their 777-300s, just like Emirates. Make sure you pick a flight using a different aircraft or research a third option.

Level Contributor
216 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air New Zealand V Emirates ?

Air NZ by far over Emirates. Admittedly have only flown Emirates across the Tasman, but I certainly wasn't impressed.