We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Virginia
Level Contributor
618 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
BA Upgrade to WT+

We are flying rt Dulles/Heathrow on British Airways in mid-March & returning April 2. At the time we made our reservations in early November, BA was offering an outbound upgrade to WT+ for about $150 pp. Of course we booked the outbound upgrade but inbound was much more expensive. I've been watching the price of the WT+ upgrade from Heathrow to Dulles & it's still $698 pp. Yikes! We usually upgrade but certainly not at this price. That's almost what we paid for each economy roundtrip ticket. We've never had this happen before. Has anyone had recent success in booking a reasonably priced WT+ upgrade on British Airways? Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA Upgrade to WT+

It seems unlikely to drop. I just checked your flight and the seats for sale in WT+ are in the discounted T booking class, the cheapest they offer.

BA don't offer cheap, fixed price upgrades on the day from LHR.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA Upgrade to WT+

Depending on the flight you've booked you may find that you're offered an inexpensive upgrade in the Manage My Booking function from about seven to 10 days before departure on the 2nd.

There are a handful of seats for sale in WT+ on all three flights to IAD on that day, and if those seats aren't sold nearer the end of this month BA may offer you the chance to move forward. Keep an eye on MMB from the 24th or 25th to see what's on offer.

London, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA Upgrade to WT+

Hi there

I will say keep checking the prices (daily if you can) as you never know it may come down.

An example: I wanted to upgrade return to WT+ and prices were coming up as £577.. I checked daily sometimes more often and it came down to £300

If you can (not sure about phonecall costs), phone up BA, as the upgrade price showing in Manage my Bookings was still showing £577 despite another page showing the lesser price

Depending on the numbers seated in WT+ you may be offered an upgrade at Online Check in at a reasonable price

I thought that upgrades at the airport were possible though

Good luck - Hope it comes down for you

Edited: 02 March 2011, 22:01
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA Upgrade to WT+

I thought that upgrades at the airport were possible though

Upgrades are possible but it's not always a "firesale" price, and definitely not at Heathrow. You'll have the fare reticketed which can prove to be a rather costly exercise!

Some airports I've been to, both in the US and on the continent do offer fixed price upgrades on the day. Sometimes as low as $150 per person from WT to WT+ based on the sign I saw on the check-in desk but I think this is only really done when the cabin is overbooked and it's a way of seeing who will pay a supplement to upgrade rather than just give it away.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,741 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA Upgrade to WT+

For some reason it does seem that west to east across the Atlantic upgrades are a lot cheaper than the other way round. Not sure if it's a coincidence.

On our last trip to the US I asked at the BA desk airside at Heathrow about upgrading and was quoted £300 which was less than the figure quoted online the previous day but not quite enough to tempt me. From signs at the desk, this is clearly something they are offering on a regular basis.

Virginia
Level Contributor
618 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA Upgrade to WT+

Thanks everyone for your input. On our last trip I booked our return upgrade while we were I London. I had been watching the prices but the upgrade price never came down. But it was still a bargin because it was less than $200 pp & no rebooking fee was charged. This trip, at least we have the outbound upgrade when its more important. Its nice to have the smaller cabin & larger seats on the overnight flight.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,555 posts
532 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA Upgrade to WT+

I recently flew from Atlanta to London. When I made the original economy booking I was offered the opportunity to upgrade to WT+ for $1000 each way. When I checked about a week before I was due to travel it was only $125 each way

Virginia
Level Contributor
618 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA Upgrade to WT+

Thanks fatbear2000 for the encouraging information. We still have a little less than a month until our return flight to Dulles so hopefully we too will see a drop in price.

Virginia
Level Contributor
618 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA Upgrade to WT+

I had to send an update on this. I've been watching the WT+ upgrade price on a daily basis as posters suggested earlier in the thread. We started at $698 per person for the Heathrow to Dulles upgrade. Earlier this week the price dropped to something like $565. I was encouraged because the price was going in the right direction. This morning when I checked, the pp upgrade is now $1626! OMG! Are they seriously wanting to sell those upgrade seats? Travelling in WT+ is certainly better than the regular WT cabin but not at that price.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,324 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA Upgrade to WT+

Are they seriously wanting to sell those upgrade seats?

Business travellers, those with less sensitivity to price increases etc. I'm not surprised prices are on the up, Dulles is a heavy business routing and airlines like BA make the bulk of their profits off price insensitive business travellers.