We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the age of cheap air travel over

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Is the age of cheap air travel over

With the ever increasing hikes in fuel costs,together with various governments' constant increase in Air Passenger Tax, do you think that the age of cheap air travel is now gone. (Thomas Cook have just introduced a fuel surcharge of £40 per person for long haul)

Speaking from personal experience my flight to Hong Kong last year was £425, this year the best I can find is £570

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,146 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the age of cheap air travel over

Hey Steve, you been reinstated ?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the age of cheap air travel over

It does kind of seem that way for now.

Last summer our family of 5 flew with BA from GLA-LAX, returning from SFO for a total price of £2450. This year I've yet to find a transatlantic route in the summer for less than £5000.

Sadly it looks like California might be out of reach this year...

Over the Atlantic
Level Contributor
412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the age of cheap air travel over

Hardly. Even at current fares it is still massively less expensive than it was in the 60's and 70's. There's a good chance that we won't see much more of the super low fares from about 2002 to 2009, but I don't think we'll see a huge increase from where they are now. Fuel will likely be the biggest factor but planes are getting more efficient and our overall oil consumption will likely decline as electric cars and more efficient manufacturing reduce our consumption and thus cause a decrease in the price of oil.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the age of cheap air travel over

Speaking from personal experience my flight to Hong Kong last year was £425, this year the best I can find is £570

One data point doesn't support that theory. Airlines offers dozens of fares in the economy cabin on a given day...

I think the days aren't over until we see significant proportions of the travelling public shut out from being able to travel and we're nowhere near that yet. As QuincyPup says, until we're back to a similar demographic as the 1960s and 1970s travelling then that era isn't over.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the age of cheap air travel over

Yes I do concede your point about a single data point Speedbird, however as per Zafiragirl's contribution, I think a lot of people will be thinking very hard before comitting themselves.

Interesting piece on the radio this morninng in a similar vein where Edmund King of the AA was saying that the way fuel prices are going, motoring may soon be the preserve of the rich.

Yes Bgekk, I am back

Edited: 04 March 2011, 13:57
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,429 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the age of cheap air travel over

Depends on the kind of flights you are looking for. You can still get plenty of return flights for well under £50 with various low cast carriers.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the age of cheap air travel over

Hi, I think the era of cheap transoceanic air travel may be over.

I'm on AA's e-mail list, & I've been bombarded with ads for cheap flights within the US....meanwhile, the fares to Europe are climbing steadily.....

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the age of cheap air travel over

I dont think the deals will be around unless seats are not filled. For popular routes, I think they will only raise the rates.

I checked JFK-CUN for the same time I went last year... $540.62 is about $100 more than I paid last year.....But I've seen much bigger differences on longer-haul flights.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the age of cheap air travel over

It doesnt help when, having gone through countless web sites, you have finally spotted a fare that suits your pocket, with the times that work out well for you. You then go all the way thru the booking process only to be told at the end, that the ticket at that price is no longer available grrrrrrrrrrr!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the age of cheap air travel over

well i just paid $2.2k (gbp1300) for a syd-jfk return including 6 internal legs.

and flights to europe from aus are about the same as last year with the occassional special coming up eg. mel-bru for $800 (gbp 475) return with qatar. so i dont think cheap travel had gone from this neck of the woods.