We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia

Liverpool, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Air Asia

I'm looking at flights to Singapore from Manchester (UK). I have used Emirates before on long haul flights and was impressed, so im naturally drawn to them.

Air Asia though, they appear on the face of it to be a lot cheaper than other airlines flying to Singapore. Although, it would mean travelling down to Stansted.

Is there a catch with Air Asia - a long haul budget airline with plenty of add ons?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia

There's another post right now about the same thing. You can't compare Emirates to AirAsia. Even on a bad day (and servcie levels DO vary on EK), they are light years ahead. Wider Economy seat, 30kg luggage, great entertainment, good meals, not having to pay for the basic human need that is water... you can see I'm not a fan of AirAsia. But how importnt is saving money to you?

Check fares after ALL add-ons with AirAsia-- luggage, meals, entertainment, blanket (if you use them). How big is the difference after this? Your choice, but I'm sticking with full service.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,884 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia

I'd agree with Bimdonesia, you can't really compare the service between Emirates and Air Asia.

If it was my choice for who to go with, I would choose Emirates regardless of the difference in fare.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia

I agree, only you can decide, maybe the schedule is better with Emirates, sometimes you think your paying less then have to pay an extra night in a hotel or have one night less, I would weigh up everything and then decide.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia

I had a flight with Air Asia recently and definitely Emirates is much better. But I got the Air Asia flight cheap and I usually manage to sleep on my flights so it was not too bad either. Stansted is easy journey by car for me.

If you are travelling from Liverpool then Stansted is out of your way. You have to add the cost of going from Liverpool to Stansted and the extra time it will take you.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia

Air Asia is fine IF you are saving a bundle (last year I got a Stanted/KL return for 280GBP including the extra costs for luggage and seating).

However, nowadays I'd pay the extra to travel with a more established airline as the difference is so small.

London
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia

even with the longer flying time due to stop over in UAE?

Am about to book a flight myself approx £600 direct with Air Asia, about same with Etihad or Emirates. the thought of the stop over was bugging me, but I guess the extra comfort might compensate?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia

<< Air Asia though, they appear on the face of it to be a lot cheaper than other airlines flying to Singapore. Although, it would mean travelling down to Stansted. >>

Don't forget that not only you need to travel on your own from Manchester to Stansted, you would need to find your way from KUL LCCT to Singapore. Are you going to buy a return ticket between KUL and SIN?

I am cerrtainly not impressed with Emirates' 10-seats across on their B777 aircrafts. Most other airlines have their B777 configured with only 9-seats across. Not sure whether you are aware of this?

Edited: 18 August 2011, 15:22
Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia

If you book air asia then you will need to pay extra for luggage, food and drink and entertainment (if there's any left).

If you are really saving a lot then go for it .... but factor in the above.

We saved about £200 per person on flights with AA over Christmas, but it was such a boring flight from London - KL. Nothing to do, but saved some cash. Sometimes the pro's out-weight the cons.

uk
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia

.... and remember to factor in the cost and time it will take to get to Stansted.

The layover time in ME will most probably be off set against the travel time to Stansted. How long is the connection?

Also I can't think of much worse than getting off a cramped, long haul flight and then having a further 4-5 hour journey to get home.

For the same price I would go for Emirates or Ethiad from a local airport.

London
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia

sorry should have said that I am North London based, but you are right Stansted is a pain to get to, Heathrow is 30-40 mins in taxi. stansted, is expensive taxi or travel in then out of London / tottenham hale to get there.

Last comment seems to suggest emirates might be not that great, think I might go for etihad.

Just wish the likes of lastminute / expedia would clean up the fare rules sections when searching for flights as often the penalties for changes etc are worded in such a way as to completely confuse you.