We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing Flight Wpg - Huatulco - Wpg TERRIBLE

Winnipeg
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sunwing Flight Wpg - Huatulco - Wpg TERRIBLE

Our flight with Sunwing departed Winnipeg to Huatulco Mexico 1st March 2011 @ 6 a.m. Arrived 3 hours prior as advised. We were loaded and blasting into the sky in no time. Took a spin around the city then landed - the landing gear wouldn't go up. Once secured the pilot advised us to get off the plane and take your hand bags because this would take and hour and a half. After a long wait we were advised that they were waiting for an update and they would get back to us in 5 minutes. Shortly after we could see the Pilot and his crew leaving with their luggage and jackets! We waited for 3 HOURS before being advised that the flight would not be departing until 9 P.M.!!! 15 hours later...our luggage in the belly of this plane and –30 outside!!! People from out of town were offered a voucher for a nearby hotel. We had to return our duty free purchases which took a long time THEN go and stand in line at the Sunwing counter for a hotel and cab voucher...wait for a cab...wait for a room. We arrived Huatulco and in our room at 4:30 a.m. One whole day was lost on our vacation plus it took a few days to feel normal. Sunwing gave us a "coupon" for $150.00 off our next vacation BUT must be booked at least 45 days prior! So much for last minute deals AND how would you use this voucher when booking on line! Also EVERYONE got the same coupon...so people booked into the cheapest rooms got the same as the most expensive rooms!

RETURN was also a nightmare. Loading us was 1/2 hour late. Finally we got to board...it was HOT outside. Loaded up and then sat. So hot!!!!! Finally we were told that one of the passengers was ill and could not fly with us. They were waiting for paper work to be updated. THEN advised that they had to remove his luggage!! There were 187 people on this flight and obviously LOTS of luggage! 2 hours later and did I mention how HOT it was...finally in the air. One of the flight attendants was just nasty! She was trying to get something out of the upper compartment just in front of us. She told the passenger to move and then she stood on the armrest of the chair to reach the compartment!!! Then later when offering hot towels...she just stuck the tray in front of you rather than hand you one with tongs. They brought our out meal then brought us coffee/tea but left us with our trays...so we were holding our trays from falling and drinking our coffee. Snacks and drinks, we were told to hurry because we'd be landing soon.

SUNWING will never get our money again. I spoke with my Travel agent in Oakbank, MB and she told us that she would be busy for about a month but would contact Sunwing when she had a chance...she'll never get our money again either!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,040 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunwing Flight Wpg - Huatulco - Wpg TERRIBLE

Positives:

For a rant it has paragraphs and you can more or less follow it.

Negatives:

1. Yet another passenger who would rather fly on an aircraft that has mechanical problems rather than miss a vacation. This never ceases to amaze me.

2. It is really a shame a passenger got ill and couldnt' fly. I am sure missing the flight was NOT their first choice of action. Bags are removed because security dictates that if the passenger isn't flying the bag isn't either. This is to prevent someone from faking an illness and leaving an explosive on the plane. --However, I guess if an aircraft with mechanical problems doesn't phase you then neither does the threat of a security risk.

Neutral Comments:

1. Why do you think you would have been less jet lagged without the problem? ( took a few days to feel right)

2. Why would you need your luggage from the belly of the plane. Educated travelers always have a change of undies etc. in their carryon. You were going to Mexico from Canada. I would have thought your warm clothes were the ones on your body and your checked luggage had clothes proper for Huatulco!

3. You seem upset that you got the same $150 as those who were booked into a better hotel. --get over it--Sunwing had mechanical problems! Do you honestly think they were happy? They really would have preferred the plane had taken off as scheduled.

4. Unfortunately, as GOPI has educated us all, paperwork has to be accurate. They were removing a passenger, removing luggage and delaying a departure. That is the way it works ( in everything, not just airlines)

5. In terms of a nasty attendant, while I agree, if what you report is true there is no excuse but I wonder how much verbal abuse she had heard prior to this. Don't forget she too was in a hot airline and non of this was her fault.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,984 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunwing Flight Wpg - Huatulco - Wpg TERRIBLE

I agree with everything rdglady has already said. Someone else who appears to be complaining just for the sake of complaining.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
81 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunwing Flight Wpg - Huatulco - Wpg TERRIBLE

I'm not sure why this has angered you so much....

Yes, it was an inconvienience to miss a day of your holiday and unfortunate to be a little delayed on the way home but would you have prefered to fly in a plane with mechanical problems or with increased risk of terrorists....really?

Looks to me like the company aknowledged they had put you about a bit and compensated you appropriatly. I don't think your post would put me off flying with this company at all.

Winnipeg
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunwing Flight Wpg - Huatulco - Wpg TERRIBLE

To all that responded to my post...you obviously miss the purpose of my post. YES...the plane needed to be repaired, the problem WAS leaving 182 passengers waiting for 3 hours with no update. Then to postpone the flight 16 hours when the passengers have no coats etc for the -30 outside!!!

The option of money back would have be an idea! Giving the same coupon to ALL passengers is unacceptable. Upper class rooms should have been different than just a junior suite! We paid big money for our room and the difference to upgrade was more than the coupon. The cost per day for 7 days vacation was higher than the coupon. If I wanted a 6 day vacation...I would have BOOKED a 6 dayer! I want what I pay for...who wouldn't!!!!

Return trip...Sunwing should have AGAIN kept the passengers informed of the delays. Perhaps even allowed us to go back into the air conditioned building. Flight attendants should not be telling a passenger to move over so they can stand on the arm of the seat or shoving a tray of hot towels in your face to grab one!

Really...rather than argue or make my post sound petty...why not ignore. The purpose was to share MY experience...take it or leave it.

Happy travelling!

Canada
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunwing Flight Wpg - Huatulco - Wpg TERRIBLE

This needs to be filed under the <shithappens> file, in the story of your life.

Really and truly. None of these things are awful, awful events.

Luckily we live in Canada and have other choices. You can try Air Canada, Westjet, Air Transat and see what happens. In the meantime - get over it.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunwing Flight Wpg - Huatulco - Wpg TERRIBLE

Why didn't you have your coats? I used Winnipeg airport for years and in the depths of winter I had my coat with me, because you never ever know...Thats a really feeble gripe.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunwing Flight Wpg - Huatulco - Wpg TERRIBLE

NO business is ever going to give money back or hand out wads of cash as compensation for anything - just not affordable or practical.

Edited: 17 March 2011, 22:27
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,780 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunwing Flight Wpg - Huatulco - Wpg TERRIBLE

Perhaps they spent 3 hours working on the landing gear, then realized that they would be unable to fix it quickly and needed a new part or something? Which in turn took a few more hour to deliver and install?

Guess you got to Mexico and back safely though, right?

>>Giving the same coupon to ALL passengers is unacceptable.<<

Oh indeed it is! Next thing you know, we'll have to mingle with the riffraff! Horrors!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
993 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunwing Flight Wpg - Huatulco - Wpg TERRIBLE

I bet that Sunwing was the cheapest option though!

You get what you pay for..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
823 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunwing Flight Wpg - Huatulco - Wpg TERRIBLE

It sounds as though you were experiencing a "rolling delay" - that is, they aren't sure themselves how long it's going to take to fix it, so they can't give you a definite time you'll be reboarding and taking off. Its annoying - but it does happen. I agree telling you this would have been benefical rather than keeping you in the dark, but as you can imagine -passengers tend to get annoyed if they are told one time and it keeps getting extended and extended.

I suspect the reason you saw the crew grab their luggage and jackets and leave is because they would have run out of hours they can legally work before they estimated the repairs would be finished.

For the most part - I think Sunwing handled things pretty well and it was just bad luck on your part that you experienced a mechanical delay on your outbound flight and then another delay because of an ill passenger on your flight home. You could have experienced this on any airline quite frankly and I suspect the outcome wouldn't have been much different.