We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to 'host' Cities during an Olympic year-advice pl

London
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to 'host' Cities during an Olympic year-advice pl

Looking for advice regarding when to purchase tickets for May 2012.

I am planning on travelling early May for 3 weeks in 2012 from London to Sydney return. My query is regarding when to purchase.

In the past, you can usually get some great deals if you purchase around March and travel before 30th June (usually advertised on TV or other media) within the same year.

My concern centres around London being the host city for the Olympics and whether these deals will exist in 2012.

Has anyone had any experience with travelling to a host city during the Olympic year? Did you have to pay more? Was availability ok?

Any advice as to when to book would be greatly appreciated.

I will no doubt be travelling Economy (unless my turn to win on the Lottery happens soon).

Thanking you in advance.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to 'host' Cities during an Olympic year-advice pl

Olympics are in late July/ early August. Whilst there will be some additional traffic in May as a result, not too much I'd have thought.

Conjecture, but there may be some displacement of leisure traffic from Summer to earlier periods such as May, as people try to avoid Olympics.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,306 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to 'host' Cities during an Olympic year-advice pl

It's pretty difficult to draw comparisons between what happened to people travelling to Beijing around Olympic time and London. Different cities, four years apart with massively different market forces around it. Look at what has happened since '08; massive jumps and falls and rises in oil prices, the world financial meltdown, increases in air passenger duty, the consolidation of airlines in the world's largest air travel market. All these things contribute to where the best guess anyone can come up with is 'who knows'.

Heathrow handles more international passengers than any other airport before you factor in Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and London City. The extra traffic the Olympics will attract will more than likely just be absorbed into the regular schedules in most cases.

London
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to 'host' Cities during an Olympic year-advice pl

Thank you for your words of wisdom. You have given me some food for thought. I must admit I was panicking and jittery with availability.

When is the usual time for tickets to be released for May 2012?

Thanks again

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to 'host' Cities during an Olympic year-advice pl

Around June/July 2011 depending on the airline but I would see no need whatsoever to buy that far ahead, I would wait and see if there are some sales which cover next May. That might not be until Nov/Dec this year and maybe later.

Edited: 25 March 2011, 13:39
5. Re: Travelling to 'host' Cities during an Olympic year-advice pl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 13:17