We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines

Franklin, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
United Airlines

I,ve done a lot of travel on a lot of airlines. Never have I had an airline confirm a flight and seat assignments and then just cancel those seat assignments with no notice. Still on the flight, but am being told I can have three seats together in last row, next to toilets or I can wait until 24 hours before take off to try for other seats. Won't even accept payment for priority seating.

I had seat assignments but these were cancelled due to "reconfiguration due to merge with Continental". Okay, but why no notice, why not able to get reassigned seats. Am told that flight is not sold out, just they won't assign seats.

Last time I fly United/Continental.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines

Apparently there was an aircraft change on your flight meaning the seating assignments have to change.

You say "no notice" but you know about the change?

Since all seats available for pre-selection are now gone (reason you can't change, yet), you'll have to wait until check in time when more seats become available, and if not then, at boarding when even more might become available.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines

The seats are never guaranteed. That's how it is with all airlines.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,679 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines

Hi,

An unfortunate situation, but one that's far from unique.. I'm quite sure it happened numerous times when the old NW merged into the new DL.. but in the end it's not a good thing..

The "no notice" thing I'd agree with.. much like it is with flight changes that allegedly go unreported to the passenger, so long as you gave a valid contact number, I can't see a reason why you couldn't or wouldn't be contacted.. either via email, SMS, fax or even a robo-call... So, to that end, not being notified I can empathize with..

On a contractual basis alone, it's true to say that United has no responsibility to notify you of the change/cancellation nor honor any seat requests, but I do think it's reasonable to think you'd be contacted.. but in the end, that really does fall to you- the passenger-- to manage.. and it's fundamentally the same on nearly all carriers.

While the alternatives you have right now don't seem all that great, the offer of a 3-seat set in the rear isn't all that bad of an option as you'd (based on right now) have a fair amount of room to yourself.

Travel Safe,

Franklin, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines

I found out about my seat assignments being cancelled because I checked my reservation with intent to change my seats to priority seating. Was willing to pay extra for more leg room due to medical problem. Can't even due that. According to agent, priority seating is not sold out, they just aren't going to make it available until 24 hours before flight.

I've flown lots of domestic and foreign airlines and know schedules change, planes change, etc. I just have never encountered not being notified and not being able to get a seat assignment if you are willing to pay to get that assigned seat.

sydney
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines

Maybe unrelated but people need to complain about the ability of airlines to keep your money if you want to make a change, any change. Yes I know that they all do it, well almost all.

I booked some cheap flights with United from Denver to Los Angeles but then needed to change the flight from Las Vegas to Los Angeles. I let United know several days ahead but despite trying to get a flight which was less than half the distance it was actually considerably cheaper to book new flights than to change. I have vowed never to fly with United or its sister company Continental again. Their loss as my wife and I are frequent flyers.

This is a rort and it is about time it ended. I mean a small change fee would be fair but $150 for a couple of keyboard strokes is a rip off.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,679 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines

Hi,

"This is a rort and it is about time it ended. I mean a small change fee would be fair but $150 for a couple of keyboard strokes is a rip off."

Or could it be that they rightly enforced the contract that you agreed to? I think like the comments you got a week ago about this very same topic, there is *big* difference between switching from one DEN-LAX flight to another DEN-LAX flight versus what you wanted-- switching from DEN-LAX to LAS-LAX.. a wholly new route with it's own unique fare structure.

Travel Safe,

7. Re: United Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 March 2011, 19:35
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,092 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines

"I mean a small change fee would be fair but $150 for a couple of keyboard strokes is a rip off."

There's an easy solution to your problem. Buy fully refundable/fully changeable tickets.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines

So you pick your seats when you check-in/print your boarding passes which can only be done within 24hrs of the flight? Not like anyone else is getting assigned seats on the flight before then. I don't really see the big deal here...

As to the add on poster if you really were frequent flyers I doubt you'd be confused by the way things function... nor would you feel the need to make that claim.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines

OP - yes, due to the merger, UA is currently renumbering the seats on their aircraft to match those on CO. I don't know if this is why your seat assignments changed (as in your row number no longer exists) or if there was an equipment change. This happens with every airline.

I would check my itinerary daily; people change seats all the time, and you may find seats opening up, especially at 100 hours before the flight, when elite members of the FF program start upgrading. If nothing else, check in at the 24 hour mark, and hopefully, better seats will be available.

To rambotrader - most airlines will charge you a change fee of $150 to change your nonrefundable ticket for a domestic flight! UA is not unique. You agreed to these rules when you purchased your ticket. After you choose an itinerary, the screen will say, "Please review the fare rules for this itinerary". You can hardly blame UA because you failed to do so.