We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favourite BYO food on flights and odd airline meals

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Your favourite BYO food on flights and odd airline meals

In the day and age of Low Cost Carriers, many of us are starting to bring more and more substantial food on flights instead of purchasing on board, or relying on the meals they serve, which are quite often less than appetising - especially in economy.

I'd like to know what your favourite foods are to bring on flights? What's the weirdest thing you've seen other people bring on board and eat? What’s the strangest thing you’ve been served as part of an airline meal?

I myself have a habit of taking cold chocolate self saucing pudding (English style sponge pudding) with me, and much to the amusement of many, I've even presented this to people when I am seeing them off at the airport when they are on a long haul flight. It's so comforting and exactly what I want when I'm sitting back watching a movie with 10 hours to go till I land in LA.

I also love taking gourmet cheese and crackers.

The weirdest thing I've ever seen someone eat is a guy who ate a banana that he smeared with vegemite before each bite. Very odd, and the smell of it was quite revolting!

Share some stories with us - what are your tips for good food?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your favourite BYO food on flights and odd airline meals

Hi,

I personally bring de-constructed sandwiches.. For example, from the US, I'll go to a local sandwich shop (I like Jersey Mike's) and ask them to put it together but seperately..

They'll cut the bread for me.... put the mayo/mustard in small tubs or give me a small squeeze-packet.. They'll then put the cold vegetables like lettuce, tomatoes, onions in a plastic bag with a moist piece of paper towel. Next the meats are cut and put into a separate bag.. Then the cheese is sliced and wrapped in wax paper..

So, when I'm ready to eat, I get out the bread.. spread the mustard/mayo from the container... open the bag of vegetables.. lay them down... open the bag of meats and layer them on... lastly unwrap the cheese and put it on...

This way the bread doesn't get soggy, the vegetables remain crisp, and the meat and cheese don't cross-absorb other flavors.. The whole sandwich really does come out much like I'd have it at the deli itself...

I've done cheese & crackers too.. I'd do that for short-haul flights..

I've also taken freeze-dried meals (from a camping/hiking store) which only require hot/boiling water to reconstitute and eat..

I've done the cold pizza thing--- Chicago deep dish holds up well.. Thin Brooklyn-style doesn't seem to fare as well..

What's some of the more unique things I've seen other passengers bring on-board? I've seen passengers bring durain fruit (confiscated), and the classic Thai-style bag-o-noodles with fermented fish sauce..

Travel Safe,

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,152 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your favourite BYO food on flights and odd airline meals

I tend to do cheese and crackers or sandwiches. They seem to hold up the best for the long times they are being carried around. Last time I took a couple of the single serve bags of frozen peas as ice packs as I wasn't sure if the gel ones would be confiscated. They worked reasonably well, the food was cool but not cold.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your favourite BYO food on flights and odd airline meals

That sammich sounds awesome and I bet you get envious looks from other pax.

Sounds far better than my ABC store squished corned beef n' cheese in Honolulu I've become accustomed to when returning home, and feeling too lazy to bring something decent with me.

mmmmmn....stinky socks fruit in an enclosed metal tube for hours on end. Nom nom!

btgm - that pea idea is fantastic! I spent ages finding gel packs that were less than 100ml's and they were barely cold when I boarded the aircraft.

Edited: 30 March 2011, 04:25
Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your favourite BYO food on flights and odd airline meals

Hi,

The wildest thing I've ever seen was a couple who (traveling in Y) brought a full-on picnic spread..

When it was meal time, the put down their tray tables-- side-by-side, then they took out of their bag and table cloth; laid that over the two tray-tables.. then out came a small vase (w/o water) and a flower, then salt & pepper shakers, then out came the food.. small containers of different foods; BBQ chicken, garlic & pesto shrimp, a fried noodle side and I think for dessert they had slices of chiffon cake.. They had brought small salad-sized plates and forks to eat.. cloth napkins and even some of those small moist towelettes to clean up after..

It was wild.. it really was a full-on picnic.. right there at their seats.. in Y.

Travel Safe,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
826 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your favourite BYO food on flights and odd airline meals

Hahaha! That's so funny - especially the flower vase. Was it a long flight?

This site is quite amusing, The eastern European airline meals have some funny comments in particular- http://www.airlinemeals.net/index.php

Nothing hits the spot quite like a "weird pressed ham, or was it chicken, pattie thing"

Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your favourite BYO food on flights and odd airline meals

Hi,

msmegmog "Was it a long flight?" Yes, it was a China-US flight..

I've never seen anyone go to that lengths when it comes to a BYO offering..

I try to keep it simple.. things that carry well-- don't need refrigeration for short(er) periods of time.. I also try to bring things that can pass thru security..

Naturally, when I'm traveling on duty status or to/from a duty status flight I can use the crew exemption for liquids.. so that does make it easier.. but I find it's just simpler to make things that meet the regular standards.. Plus most of what I like or bring meets these standards anyway..

Sometimes from Japan I bring on-board a bowl of Japanese curry and rice.. China flights I'll sometimes get duck breast.. When I used to fly Argentina/Brazil sectors, I used to always get roasted steak fillet skewers-- there was nothing better than Argentine or Brazilian beef.

After a while you get tired of the crew meal options and want something different..

On that airlinemeals.net site, my personal favorite ones are the photos from North Korea (DPRK's) Air Koryo

www.airlinemeals.net/browse.php…

Travel Safe,

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your favourite BYO food on flights and odd airline meals

durian...

lol, nah my mum tried doing that once and myself and dad had a right go at her so she left it behind. Can you imagine the fragrance throughout the cabin

: P

Me - sandwiches like GOPBI says and add the mayo etc when you're ready.

Otherwise wife and I like to nibble on a bit of cheese, olives, crackers/bread without the picnic on full display : P

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your favourite BYO food on flights and odd airline meals

The one time I was on a plane long enough to have to pack on food I rolled up lunch meat and cheese into a flour tortilla and cut it into bite sized rounds. That way I wasn't apt to drop the entire thing if it got bumpy - and it wasn't pungent so other passengers didn't notice. That and cut up carrots and celery was enough until we landed.

The worst experience I had was flying SWA out of Chicago - a family of 9, most of which including the grandmother had never flown before. As soon as we the seatbelt light went off - they pulled out bags of Kentucky Fried Chicken, not individual meals - but whole buckets of it - still semi-warm. They passed around paper plates and plastic utensils to their clan and passed it around the two rows they occupied and each person helped themselves.

The smell of greasy fried chicken in the cabin was overwhelming - the whole plane smelled like a chicken carcass - even the flight attendants were rolling their eyes, it was a bit much even for SWA. As any big family at dinner time would be - they were loud, little ones cried, and I'm pretty sure a chicken leg or two hit the floor.

Why they did such a big meal on the plane is beyond me - the flight from Midway to Kansas City couldn't have been all that long to require a full meal.

Hmmm - it just occurred to me they did have side dishes...so maybe the TSA doesn't consider gravy a liquid? :)

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your favourite BYO food on flights and odd airline meals

Wow! Durian on a flight! That would be interesting!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,647 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your favourite BYO food on flights and odd airline meals

Hi,

Interesting is not the word I would have used for that persons' bright idea to bring a ripe whole durian on the plane..... The term I would have used.... well the TA language filters would block it... LOL

Travel Safe,