We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberia Airlines to South Africa

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Iberia Airlines to South Africa

I am considering booking Iberia Air from LAX to JNB. The reviews are horrendous, the prices are hundreds of dollars cheaper. Can anyone give feeback or recommend another affordable option? Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
120 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberia Airlines to South Africa

We booked a flight from Washington to Tel Aviv thru Iberia. Yes the fare is cheaper then other airline - by alot. The trick to find flight using their One World Partner when you choose your segment. We got British Airways on 2 of 3 legs. Dealing with Iberia for 1 leg was worth all the saving.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberia Airlines to South Africa

And how was your leg with Iberia? I can deal with poor food, et al, but want me and my luggage to get where I'm going relatively on time!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberia Airlines to South Africa

I flew Iberia from Europe to Chile and back in the last 2 weeks and the flights were fine. Generally on time with friendly staff and reasonable food. All the connections worked, the lounges were comfortable and my baggage made it as well in both directions.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberia Airlines to South Africa

Great, thank you for the replies!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
120 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberia Airlines to South Africa

Iberia doesn't have in flight entertainment, not even radio. If your above 6' it will be hard to fit in the seat. Your tray table when down will be about half way on your arm rest.

Beside that everything was OK.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberia Airlines to South Africa

What dates. I looked at August and it looks like United is cheaper...connex via JFK and south african airways.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberia Airlines to South Africa

July 6-August 3 give or take a day. What I'm finding on United is nearly $1000 more?

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberia Airlines to South Africa

<< The reviews are horrendous, the prices are hundreds of dollars cheaper>>

So, you need to decide what is more important to you surely ?

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberia Airlines to South Africa

We flew with Iberia & found it a decent experience. On time for all flights.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberia Airlines to South Africa

Thanks to everyone for your replies. Good to get feedback from seasoned travellers. It's hard to evaluate random reviews..... As I said, I've travelled a lot and am fine without the luxuries of entertainment and good food, but not being able to get where I think I've booked for and safety are non-negotiable. I now feel the savings would be worth it from your reviews.