We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: leaning seats back in economy

Edinburgh Scotland
Level Contributor
186 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Re: leaning seats back in economy

All seats on all aircraft in economy should not recline it is a pure invasion of the space you have paid for as far as I am concerned if you need more room pay extra and travel Premium Economy and get the room you pay for. It is pure bad manners to recline your seat in Economy and the practice should be stoped by stoping seat recline.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: leaning seats back in economy

Hi,

That's one popular position.. and the other equally popular position is that when a passenger buys his/her seat they should be able to use all it's features-- and recline is one of those features.

Travel Safe,

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: leaning seats back in economy

Ah, yes, the old "seat reclining" discussion.

When someone puts their seat all the way back in front of me, I just lean over and put my head on the seat back, grateful to have a different position to nap. If I snore a little bit, it might keep them awake, awww.

I use my tray table as I wish - I don't routinely travel with a laptop so no issue there. For people who put their seat all the way back, I'm usually not gentle when I open and close it.

I recline my seat to get more space.

I just continue listening to music and reading my book.

OR

I could just sit and fume and curse and say that ought to be against the law!

Edited: 03 April 2011, 18:28
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: leaning seats back in economy

Until such time as an airline removes the recline function it is inevitable there will be different views between the no recline/recline brigades.

I don't believe that either group can claim to be right or wrong and the best we can hope for is a degree of consideration for your fellow passengers.

Who would be a flight attendant trying to referee in the arguements that occur from time to time.

I await other responses with interest - I'm sure there will be conflicting views amongst TA members.

TomC

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: leaning seats back in economy

Something the airlines could fix at source by limiting the recline so its not so overly intrusive.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,796 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re: leaning seats back in economy

It is questionable whether you are paying for all the space in front of your seat. You can also say that you pay for ALL the space that your seat has the ability to occupy. Then, when your seat is in the upright position you are allowing the person behind you to use YOUR space!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,850 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: leaning seats back in economy

So why should Premium Economy passengers have to suffer? The extra room isn't that great and a reclining seat back could make it harder for one to leave or get into ones seat.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,305 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: leaning seats back in economy

A compromise would be to have those seats that basically recline by sliding the bottom of the seat forward.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,225 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re: leaning seats back in economy

This is an unsolvable arguement that pops up every 3 months.

Ultimately, we are all stuck in the same cramped metal tube and we have to get along.

Some people say that there shouldn't be recline allowed during short flights or durning the day. But what is short and people's "day time" will vary depending on where they are from or where they are headed to.

I'm a firm believer that the space you buy includes the recline space. I never ask a person to move their seat forward unless I need to eat. Common courtesy says that one should not recline over top of somebody's food. If I ask you to please move your seat forward so that I can eat, I'll only ask if you are awake, and I'll eat quickly and tell you when I have finished.

Some airline configurations are worse than others. LH has good recline, but smaller pitch, which means a very cramped situation. CO, UA, AC not so much.

If you sit in front of me, feel free to recline, but please come back slowly, don't slam back. That will give me a chance to keep my laptop from being damaged.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re: leaning seats back in economy

Hi,

"... A compromise would be to have those seats that basically recline by sliding the bottom of the seat forward..."

And that's how "we" got the new, now out-going, CX fixed-back sliding seat..

I really don't know that there is an true effective cost-viable compromise as each sides position is essentially diametrically opposed to the other.

Travel Safe,

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Re: leaning seats back in economy

Here we go again!

Blame on both sides-- don't get possessive about "your" space. And don't recline with such force that it causes shock or damage to that person's possessions.