We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
What Does NTP Mean?

I'm just curious about what NTP means. I'm guessing that it is "No Time Predicted"? We flew on Southwest last week. Before we left for the airport, we checked the flight status, and saw that our flight was delayed. It showed a new departure time one half hour later than the scheduled time, and also showed "NTP." We took our time getting to the airport. When we got to the gate, the board showed our flight as "delayed" with no scheduled time. Fifteen minutes before the original departure time, they began boarding, and the plane left at the scheduled time. We were glad that we hadn't dawdled too much!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Does NTP Mean?

Best I can find out is:

Delayed-No Time Predicted

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Does NTP Mean?

Is it common for an airline to post a specific delayed departure time, and then go back to the original departure time? Wouldn't there be a lot of folks who were then late getting to the gate?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,661 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Does NTP Mean?

Hi,

Yes and no.. That's the double-edge with delays.. but it depends on what type of delay it is..

Examples...

Mechanical: In most cases when it's mechanical, the airline will want to get going as soon as it's fixed.. So, they'd be more inclined to keep a short leash on the updated departure time.. just for the reason you note.. If they post say 2:00 delay and they get it fixed in 1:00, then they'll need to waste more time rounding everyone up and get them back to the plane.. but you also don't want to keep saying :15 more minutes eight times.. so there's a balance there..

Crew or Statutory -- In other cases the delays is for a known and fixed period of time that can't move up.. When you crew runs out of maximum duty time, by law they must get a minimum period of rest.. So even IF they airline could take off, they can't until that minimum rest period has elapsed.. So they'd post the new time and it would be fixed at that.. You can't move it up..

So, yes and no.. you don't want to give unreasonably short expectation, but you don't want to say 2 hours, then be in a situation where you're done early and now can't go because 1/2 the plane went for coffee.. by contrast if the delay is for a fixed reason, that's easier as it's known and not really movable..

Travel Safe,

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,553 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Does NTP Mean?

I wouldn't necessarily say it's common, but it's possible. Unless I get some real specific information from the gate agent, I always stay in the boarding area when a flight is delayed. I've been on a few flights where the reason for the delay is resolved sooner than expected and it's "OK, we're boarding now...".

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What Does NTP Mean?

It is not all that uncommon at hubs where the airline has greater availability of aircraft and crews to swap around. If you are at an outstation with only a few flights a day and the plane takes a mechanical delay, with the only repair option flying parts/mechanics in on the next flight - then you can be pretty confident it won't get un-delayed.

The last flight I missed was because the airline called me early in the morning to let me know my 9:00 flight was delayed until noon, so I slept in. Got to the gate about 11:00 and I had just missed it. I got a mini-lecture from the gate agent that I should have stayed in the boarding area, but she rebooked me without a problem when I tolder her THEY called ME and told me to stay home (kind of).

6. Re: What Does NTP Mean?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 12:18