We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MINT airlines

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
MINT airlines

This morning got an email from Direct holidays regarding our holiday to WOW 29th August saying that our flight has been changed to Mint airways , same time and date so nothing has changed apart from the plane.

Checking up on the MINT website they are a airline leasing company with only 2 planes 757,s which are 21 and 15 years old respectivley.

It seems unusual for this to be happening and especially as the flight number has a TC (Thomas Cook) reference, it seems like I have bought something and later find out its substandard.

Anyone travelled MINT???

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MINT airlines

With respect, this is what happens when you book with a cheap package operator, they use the cheapest suppliers to keep prices low and try to squeeze a profit out of the very tight margins they operate on*.

Its not at all unusual, and if you don't like it, and other similar practices, such as flight times changing big time when they consolidate a couple of flights, you'll have to pay more and use an operator that uses scheduled flights, or just arrange it yourself.

Costs more usually though .... cake and eat it .... :-)

* If you doubt the tight margins, just recall how many operators go bankrupt every year.

Edited: 07 April 2011, 17:54
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MINT airlines

With respect, do you know how much I paid for my holiday and do you know who direct holidays belong to, answer a) a lot answer b) Thomas Cook.

I travel 4 to 5 times a year and quite often with Direct/Thomas Cook and this has never happened before so I was enquiring ''has anyone travelled with Mint''

It seems like rather than answer my question you have assumed that I am a cheapskate.

Having been a victim of a company going bust in the past I choose carefully who I book with and recognise there are ''dodgy companies'' I deem Thomas Cook and its offshoots in the safe catagory.

Thanks for your constructive post.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
117 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MINT airlines

Just paid my final invoice for trip to Corfu in June. Direct Holidays and TCX flight number. On the invoice it informs me I'm now with Mint Airways. No separate email from DH or TC.

Mint are a Spanish operation based at Madrid with Iberia maintenance contract. Planes are quite old, not sure how the ages compare to TC or Thomson. No idea at present of service level satisfaction from users.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MINT airlines

There is a posting on the gumbet forum which states the service wasnt too good.

''We had the misfortune to fly back fro kos last year with these when the tc flight was grounded in the Uk after a 6 hour delay.They are a Spanish airline and my god the hostesses were among the most miserable I have ever come across, they also underheated the meals undercooked sausage extremely dangerous!!! I actually complained on my return which is something I never do. Hope you get better experience than we did''

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
117 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MINT airlines

Cheers, I had seen that after some searching.

I'm not too worried at this stage. Our trip back from Majorca last June on TC was the worst I've experienced anyway. Late departure from hotel on TC coach, delays at check in overseen by TC reps, had to run through Palma airport to catch it, meal mix up on board (meals booked but not handed out correctly, TC crew about to eat them before we asked), miserable and rude TC crew and more noise than a chicken cree.

So, I'll take my chances with Mint I think!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MINT airlines

Good luck, we are gonna need it, although its only a 4 hour flight, means to an end.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MINT airlines

I rang T.Cook to complain and was told that ONLY the aircraft is on hire for the season to Lanzarote-everything else including staff,meals,pre booked seats etc will be supplied by T.Cook as normal. I DO NOT BELIEVE THIS -lets wait and see

I won't be surprised if there are flight delays -with only 2 planes available from Mint.

This holiday was booked last October having just come back from Lanzarote via Direct Holidays(T.Cook airline) and because we wanted a reputable,safe airline,not a cheap alternative.

If anyone is unhappy please contact TC to complain

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MINT airlines

<<With respect, do you know how much I paid for my holiday and do you know who direct holidays belong to, answer a) a lot answer b) Thomas Cook.>>

a) It doesn't matter if you paid "a lot" what matters is, how much was it compared to other operators for the same thing. If its significantly cheaper, how do you think they get the low prices? (1) use low cost everything possible, including juggling flight operators, paying hotel owners very late (or not at all when they go bust), etc, or (2) magic - answer = (1) :-)

b) Owned by Thomas Cook? That doesn't affect the margin argument. "Why are they operating this a separate subsidiary?" I hear you say, answer = because they don't want you expecting standard Thomas Cook service and quality.

I didn't assume you are a cheapskate, I was pointing out that if you buy from a low price operator, this is what you can expect. Nothing more.

London
Level Contributor
8,718 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MINT airlines

My understanding - and I stand to be corrected - is that although TC are leasing a plane or planes from Mint they will be operated by Thomas Cook crew and service will be same as other TC flights. This is what you were told 3busketeers.

Apparently average age of TC 757's just over 13 years - so one of the Mint planes not much older. An older plane that has had regular maintenance, to my mind, is nothing to worry about.

I wouldnt worry unduly sonandal - its not uncommon for airlines to lease aircraft during certain periods.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MINT airlines

To Sonandal,

I have today been told my flight to Turkey in June will be with MINT airlines, I am concerned as you are, when you book a holiday you book the one you want and dont expect it to be changed, hence you would chose a different holiday, I m totally in agreement with you on all your posts. Also i have booked prebooked seats, chose your seats and online check-in which i have just noticed in trhe brochure only applies to TC flights. Wonder how i stand with regard to this now, there is no way myself and my 3 year old daughter can be separated on a flight when there is only the two of us going. Will post further when i receive any replies from TC. Good luck to us all is all i can say, considering they only have two planes, seems like they are going to be doing an awful lot of flights!!