We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic: What Happened?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Atlantic: What Happened?

Just curious. Flew to Miami last week and a pal suggested Virgin so I flew with them. Coach - fair enough, not expecting red carpet. But was genuinely shocked at the tatty aircraft, rubbish service, filthy loos and overall dodgy experience. Crew seemed totally unengaged for the whole flight: except duty free when they seemed to get back on form. If this is the alleged "British Flag Carrier", then my sympathies to the poor inbound passengers who believe their VS flight experience will be symptomatic of the rest of their onward UK holiday. Plus the rest of us who travel out of the UK. I travel in Asia a great deal and we all know why we love CX, SQ etc. Even cattle class you are treated decently. Virgin seems to have lost the plot: would love to hear from a crew member what they think. My POV: airline seems to have institutional CBA (Can't Be A***d) and service fatigue/passenger irritation syndrome + no money to invest or upgrade. Doesn't really bother me as I will never fly them again, but just all a bit sad that the challenger is now so unappealing. God bless BA - you have my next flight to FLA. And anwhere else when my choice is Virgin.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic: What Happened?

Yep, VS have gone markedly downhill. BA are better, but unfortunately for you don't fly to FLA, but neither do VS. BA may be able to get you to Bogota, or somewhere else in South America for a connection, though.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,995 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic: What Happened?

I assume the Op means Florida when they mention FLA - not the IATA code for Gustavo Artunduaga Paredes Airport in Colombia.

As for the initial complaint, the VA fleet certainly is looking a little tired inside, especially the fleet based at LGW.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic: What Happened?

Thanks - yes FLA = Florida for this post.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic: What Happened?

Whilst Virgin has become over-rated lately I think it's unfair to judge an airline based in one crappy experience.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic: What Happened?

Quite surprised to read this because we've always had a good experience with Virgin, but I've said in the past all airlines have good and bad reviews.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic: What Happened?

The LGW leisure fleet is the oldest hardware VS have. The plan was to have a fleet of A330's to take them in and refit. Due to management errors there has been a delay in this and the first one came into service from MAN-MCO last weekend without Upper Class. It includes the latest generation of panasonic IFE which is pretty neat.

Flying from LHR seems to be a much better VS experience as the planes have been refurbished and have the latest Premium Economy in them too.

Comparing a US/EU airline to an Asian or Middle Eastern airline will never really work. Service and hardware wise they wipe the floor.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,370 posts
1,663 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic: What Happened?

Virgin are increasingly reliant on past reputation. Other airlines have surpassed it years ago and if you fly Emirates, Etihad, Qatar regularly then you really notice the difference.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,279 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic: What Happened?

Emirates and Singapore Airlines have always mostly gotten very good reviews.

9. Re: Virgin Atlantic: What Happened?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 13:18