We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orbitz

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
291 reviews
Save Topic
Orbitz

What is your experience booking flights with Orbitz? I am flying Venice to Bari Italy and the Alitalia flight booked through Orbitz is much cheaper than booking throught the airline directly. Too good to be true?

223 replies to this topic
Pembroke Pines...
Destination Expert
for Doral
Level Contributor
642 posts
600 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Orbitz

I never had problem with them and I would used them whenever they offer me best value.

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Orbitz

I've used Orbitz for years and never had to use their customer service until my last trip. And after this experience it will definitely be my last trip through Orbitz.com

I purchased a tour through Orbitz for myself and 4 friends. The tour company never picked us up at the time they said they were going to pick us up. Waited longer then we had to before calling the tour company to find out what was going on. Never got an answer so we figured they weren't coming. Unfortunately we had to make other plans so we went on our marry way. Later I found out that the tour company came by to pick us up 50 minutes after the time they said they were going to pick us up. Never got a call from them to let us know that they were running late, if that were the case we would had gladly waited but because of lack of communication on their part we had to move on, time is precious when you are on vacation or as my European brothers say, "Holiday"

When I returned home I called Orbitz to request a refund for the activity voucher we were not able to use due to no fault of our own. I told Orbitz Customer Care what happened, they called the tour company to get their side of the story and when the Orbitz Customer Care Rep came back on the phone... they sided 100% with the tour company even though they were at fault. We held our side of the bargain the tour company didn't.

Over the years I've spent thousands of dollars booking trips for my friends and I through Orbitz.com and Orbitz decided to lose me over $259 (shake my head)

Through my research it looks like all the online travel agencies are the same with their lack of customer care so from now on I'm dealing directly through the Airline Carriers, Rental Car Agencies and Hotels. Even if I have to pay a little more.

You are on your own when using Orbitz.com so use them at your own risk...

33. Re: Orbitz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2012, 00:17

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Orbitz

I've booked about a dozen reservations through Orbitz in 2012; I won't again.

In February, I booked a flight with Spirit Airlines (mistake, but that's another story). I ended up disputing the Spirit charge with my credit card company, and won the dispute.

That should have ended the issue, but now Orbitz is threatening collection action against me if I don't pay THEM for the charge the CC company withdrew from Spirit.

Lesson: If I booked directly with the airline, this matter would be behind me. Instead, I have to repeat the dispute process with Orbitz.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Orbitz

"I ended up disputing the Spirit charge with my credit card company, and won the dispute."

If you booked through Orbitz surely you wouldn't have a charge from Spirit, you have a charge from Orbitz? If so, the chargeback was against Orbitz, not Spirit and if your dispute was with the latter, your creditcard company should not have authorized it.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Orbitz

Although booked through Orbitz, the card was charged directly by Spirit. Now they apparently want Orbitz to pay the money withdrawn by the CC company.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,929 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Orbitz

In that case I fail to see how that's your problem. That's a matter between Spirit and Orbitz.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,316 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Orbitz

I'm trying to figure out if the matter was actually resolved. You're in the USA, right? Procedures probably vary in different countries. Here is a link I found to info from the US Federal Trade Commission. ftc.gov/bcp/…cre16.shtm

When you dispute a charge the credit card company takes the amount off your bill temporarily and suspends interest and finance charges. My understanding is the credit card company then works with the vendor to resolve the dispute. I think it could only be finalized and taken off your bill if the vendor agrees or it was a fraudulent charge.

If there is no agreement the charge goes back on your bill and you would have to sue Spirit to get your money back. From what I read it doesn't seem like the credit card company can just refuse to pay a vendor unless the vendor agrees.

Did you get something in writing from your credit card company saying the matter was resolved?

Killingworth...
Level Contributor
43 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Orbitz

I've never had a problem with Orbitz. Alitalia is another story. If your expecting FF miles, save all boarding passes, etc as they refused to credit me close to 10,000 miles for a trip a few years ago. Flight crew was great but ground crew left a lot to be desired.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Orbitz

I have been using Orbitz for years...Since I have had no trouble I don't know about Customer Service.

I like that they send a reminder when your flights are about 4 days before you go ..

Reply to: Orbitz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted