We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest Chinese flights

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest Chinese flights

I'm constantly surprised that noone seems to mention Spring Airlines on Asian travel forums. They have easily the cheapest Chinese flights, and I always check their website first when booking domestically. Srsly, they fly Shanghai - Hong Kong for about 700 RMB return, all tax etc included!

Granted, their seats are quite small and they do a funny sales thing onboard the flights - but it's more than compensated by a pair of headphones and the price of the ticket.

I'm guessing it's because they don't want to partner with cTrip & expedia -- I can't find Spring tickets there at all?? You have to set up an account at www.springairlines.com and buy direct instead. Hey, as long as the prices are dirt cheap and the planes are safe, works for me!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest Chinese flights

Low cost carriers / budget airlines almost never list their flights on online travel agent websites to reduce distribution costs (i.e. commission to travel agents).

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest Chinese flights

Spring is highly regarded, however its web site does not operate in English, the language of preference for most TA readers here. I have tried to use the Google-translated site, but always get hung up on something.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
525 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest Chinese flights

I agree with Sparky, I tried it recently and in the end I gave up.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
647 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest Chinese flights

@ SoBeSparky and LondonDiva, Spring Airlines does have an English website - but it's a bit difficult to find for non-Chinese customers. You have to look on the right-hand corner, where there's a small dropdown box by default labelled as 'Simplified Chinese' in Chinese, and the language selection is located there. Prior to the Hong Kong / Japan flights launch, they only had a Chinese website but now it has been updated to include Japanese, English and Chinese (Traditional) for Hong Kong pax.

The direct link is here - www.china-sss.com/en-US/AirFlights/index

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
28 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest Chinese flights

OK I got an email about this, and it looks like they have a brand new website up at www.springairlines.com -- pretty pro by the looks of things too.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest Chinese flights

I've never flown them but one time one of my colleagues used them and it was so awful he never wanted to again. He had to go to an office to pay and couldn't pay through their website and during the flight they kept doing the sales bit.

This was 2 years ago so maybe they've improved.

7. Re: Cheapest Chinese flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 03:42