We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas

Belfast
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Qantas

Hi,

We are going on honeymoon next week and during that time we will be flying from London to Singapore, then to Sydney, then Fiji and finally to los Angeles. All these flights are with Quantas. Our flight from la to London is with BA.

We have never flown long haul before and I was wondering what to expect?

Is the entertainment on board such as movies good? What about the food? Is it true that all drinks are complimentary?

Sorry if these are silly questions but just want to be prepared and make the most of our honeymoon, even the flight.

Thanks.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qantas

what's to expect?

lots of hours sitting doing nothing in rather cramped conditions.

to counter this lots of good inflight entertainment (if the qantas crew can actually get it to work), reasonable food, snacks, drink runs (water juice) and yes alcoholic drinks are free and are usually served with the meal. they have cut back on this aspect a lot tho.

other than that take some reading material, get up and walk around as much as u can, be careful when reclining your seat so as not to disturb the person behind u, take some earplugs to cancel out the crying babies and snorers. sleep when u can and dont drink too much alcohol. keep hydrated with water and juice.

and keep your seat belt on at all times when seated.

Edited: 22 April 2011, 00:29
Belfast
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qantas

Thanks for your input. Because its such a long flight its good to know that refreshments are free. These tend to be very expensive on the flights I usually take.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qantas

i have flown long haul with qantas and it is fine. The drinks are free (both alcoholic and non alcoholic), and the meals were ok. (I have had worse)

The entertainment system worked, the fights were on time. But the negative - the flights were so full there was no room to move anywhere. Leg room is miniscule. Flying from NYC to Melbourne i was going crazy. On these long flights I try to sleep as much as possible and the time goes by a lot quicker so it is a bit more bearable.

do not worry about Qantas, they are a good airline.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qantas

I recently flew London to Singapore on BA and then to Perth on Qantas and it was fine. I thought legroom on BA was quite compared to some other airlines.

Bring some reading material and dress in layers. It can get quite cold on long haul flights. They will give you a blanket and pillow but still.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qantas

I fly the Melbourne-Hong Kong route on Qantas yearly, and have flown numerous other airlines around the world, but I still love Qantas. IMO their food's truly excellent by sky standards (at least the vegetarian meals are great, no idea about the ones with meat). The seats, esp in the newer aircraft, are a bit wider than those on most airlines I've flown, and the legroom's more than enough for a 5'4 person like me.

Concur with the other posters' advice re surviving long haul. I'd also HIGHLY recommend bringing some facial/hand moisturiser to keep your skin feeling good. Facial washer and cooling eye gel would also be helpful. In the comfort department, I always like to bring a flat, portable pair of slippers (eg the ones you sometimes get in hotels) so that you can lose your shoes during the flight, but not have to trudge around in the mere socks you usually get onboard.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qantas

Qantas are a pretty good airline, probably the best Australian airline.

I'd also recommend buying a travel pillow for extra support during long haul and eye mask for when you want to sleep.

London
Level Contributor
736 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Qantas

Have a look at the Qantas website and you can find out what films and other entertainment will be on your flights and a bit of info on the food.

qantas.com.au/travel/…en

A great choice of honeymoon destinations, in my opinion, and congratulations.

Australia
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qantas

To and from Fiji might be with Air Pacific who code share.

Check your ticket for each leg of the flight.

Does it say "flight operated by..." or something similiar?

QF is Qantas and FJ is Air Pacific.

Have a great trip.

Belfast
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qantas

Thanks for all your great replies guys. A week tomorrow and we fly out. Can't wait. Makes getting married worthwhile lol.

U will check that flight to Fiji.

Belfast
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qantas

Yeah its operated by air pacific. I didn't notice because it still had the QF flight number.

How are air pacific?