We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airline prices

Hillsdale, New York
1 post
Save Topic
airline prices

How is a family of 5 supposed to afford a vacation when the airfare is so expensive? How is everyone else affording it?

Maine
Level Contributor
740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: airline prices

Airlines are making more money than ever- record profits are recorded while we cannot pick a seat,, check baggage for free or get a drink of water. Unfortunately for us in the US, we do not have a good public transport system like in Europe so the alrlines have a monopoly on rapid transit. So, no, a family of 5 cannot fly unless they can afford the high price. I remember that we boycotted buying gas for a day in the US a few years ago to send a message -maybe we should do the same to the airlines. Unfortunately, corporations use airlines so many seats are reserved at any price. You can rent a nice cottage in Maine for not so much!

uk
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: airline prices

Airlines are making more money than ever- record profits are recorded while we cannot pick a seat,, check baggage for free or get a drink of water.

---------------

Airlines are capitalist business and will charge as much as people are willing to pay. Adding charges for the things you mention actually helps them stay profitable at a time when in fact many airlines are struggling to survive.

--------------

So, no, a family of 5 cannot fly unless they can afford the high price.

-------------

Isn't this the case with everything? If you can't afford to buy it, you can't have it? It is all about prioritising. I've always been able to afford flights, even when I was a student as travelling and visiting new places was high on my priority list so I still took three or more trips a year, mainly by taking a part time job.

If having 3 children is your priority then maybe the trade off is not being able to take holidays where you need to fly.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: airline prices

We found eating out (be it a simple TexMex meal or white table cloth with great wine list) frequently added up to a lot more than a RT to Paris from Louisiana. So now only for special occasions, lunch once in awhile (loads cheaper than dinner), and to take clients out

So I cook every night. Stay thinner, eat healthier and get to go on at least one great trip at least once a year ( two every other year). I'd rather go to Paris. That $100 bottle of wine is a lot cheaper at the liqour store.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: airline prices

You do not need to fly to go on vacation. Gas prices in the US are low (compared to Europe), so use your car for vacation transport.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: airline prices

reading the replies on this forum, i guess most of the regulars are 'of a certain age'. like me, they are probably thinking - 'young people today want it all'.

a family of 5 probably cannot afford to fly. neither, in my opinion, are they 'supposed' to. families of 5 go camping. close to home. and look on a take-out meal as a treat, cooking most of their meals on a one-ring primus stove.

my honeymoon was two weeks in a tent. it was fabulous. the budget for the [small] wedding was £60 [$90]. we enjoyed it.

the time for flying away on vacation is when your family are grown and off your hands. make the most of your children now, and use vacations when you are old to take your mind off missing them.

pam

Canada
Level Contributor
5,158 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: airline prices

We are also a family of five and although we have a reasonable income, it was still expensive to pay for all 5 to go together. So I agree with your complaint there. However its not really the airlines problem that you have 3 children :)

We travelled by car a lot when the children were younger for that reason. Even if gas was expensive - it was still cheaper to fill 4 or 5 tanks then pay for 5 airline tickets.

I also never hesitated to take my kids out of school at non-peak times.

Finally we spilt up quite a bit. My family lives in England, my in-laws in South Africa - so I would take one child and go to England and my husband would stay at home. Then he would take another one and I would stay home with the other two. Its not as much fun as all being together but at least we were travelling.

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: airline prices

How do you afford it? Budget for it! Start a travel fund! You save up for the trip. You get a part time job or put some things on EBay. You take a trip every 2 years instead of 1. Eat at home more often. Rent movies instead of going to the theater. The list goes on and on!

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,274 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: airline prices

Airlines are making more money than ever- record profits are recorded while we cannot pick a seat,, check baggage for free or get a drink of water. Unfortunately for us in the US, we do not have a good public transport system like in Europe so the alrlines have a monopoly on rapid transit. So, no, a family of 5 cannot fly unless they can afford the high price. I remember that we boycotted buying gas for a day in the US a few years ago to send a message -maybe we should do the same to the airlines. Unfortunately, corporations use airlines so many seats are reserved at any price. You can rent a nice cottage in Maine for not so much!

The experts would disagree with you as American Airlines is the next on the list that is expected to file for bancruptcy

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: airline prices

Thank you rapidex!! Major carriers are still trying to recoup all the losses (quarter after quarter, year after year) due to oil prices and all the issues that follow. That "new" income (aka profit) is trying to offset the deficits (aka debts)

Much like family that needs to budget to provide a vacation that includes air travel....cell phones for the kids, satellite TV, movies out, take out meals, dine in restaurants, ipads, video games....ad infinitum!!

Edited: 18 September 2011, 20:41
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: airline prices

Yes we should feel bad for airlines losing money, quarter after quarter, because the government bailouts don't work out for them.......can anyone say Tarp funds for banks or bailouts for the automobile industry......

Banks and the automobile industry attempt to attract customers - airlines don't as they are the one all be all......if you don't like it tough take a bus, drive a car or stay at home

Maybe airlines should be more concerned about customers instead of expecting the US goverment to bail them out......9/11 was 10 years ago....what is the excuse now