We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing planes in Washington DC

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
320 reviews
Save Topic
Changing planes in Washington DC

I am booked to fly from Denver to Washington DC on United due to arrive at 21 20 and catch an onward flight to London on BMI which is due to leave at 22 02. This seems very tight even if the flight from Denver arrives on time.

My question is this. If I miss the London flight because the flight from Denver was late what happens. My travel agent says I would be given a seat on the next available flight, but what if I have to stay overnight in Washington DC, will I have to pay hotel costs? Am I likely to be asked to buy a new ticket on to London?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing planes in Washington DC

You won't be asked to buy a new ticket assuming you are on one ticket from Denver to London.

Whether the airline covers the hotel costs depends on the nature of the delay. If it is something within the airline's control then they should pay for it. If not, in the case of weather for example, then it'll be up to you. Read up on your travel insurance policy to see if you're covered that way.

40min connections aren't impossible at IAD by any stretch. I've connected from regional jets (that arrive at a different concourse) to international flights with 35min and 40min connections with ease before.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,496 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing planes in Washington DC

I've done a similar connection - the Denver flight was late so we did the connection in 10 minutes while the London flight was held for us.

And our baggage made the connection as well.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing planes in Washington DC

So I get off the plane from Denver at Washington DC, do I need to go all the way through arrivals then back into departures (we had to do that once in Athens) or is there a quick route for transfer passengers?

Where will my passport be checked, Denver or Washington or both?

Really appreciate your help on this one as I tend to worry to much about missing trains and planes.

DC
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing planes in Washington DC

They'll check your passport when you check in at DEN. At IAD, you just have to go from your arrival gate to your departure gate, but I'm pretty sure that will entail going from Terminal C/D to B.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing planes in Washington DC

I have transferred at IAD many times, and I would not be comfortable with that connection time. Do not count on a flight being held for you. Try to sit as close to the front of the plane as possible. Good luck.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing planes in Washington DC

They'll check your passport when you check in at DEN. At IAD, you just have to go from your arrival gate to your departure gate, but I'm pretty sure that will entail going from Terminal C/D to B.

It'll also be checked at the gate at IAD.

United don't use Concourse B, but they do use A, C and D. A is for regional jets so the OP will stay within the Concourse C/D co-terminal.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing planes in Washington DC

Fingers crossed, it will either work out or it won't. As someone told me only worry about the things you can do something about.

DC
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing planes in Washington DC

Speedbird,

The OP is flying BMI out of IAD. They go from B.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing planes in Washington DC

The OP is flying BMI out of IAD. They go from B.

Not anymore they don't. BMI stopped flying to IAD years ago, the BMI flight will be a United codeshare. These depart from Concourse C/D.

10. Re: Changing planes in Washington DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 16:16