We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What exactly does "no amenities" mean?

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
What exactly does "no amenities" mean?

I am flying to London on May 8th. The airlines, continental operating thru United, says that there are no amenities on this flight. Lack of entertainment is fine but I do get hungry and would like a pillow with perhaps a blanket. all of these are listed under amenities. should I be sure to eat before getting on the plane and perhaps bring my own pillow?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What exactly does "no amenities" mean?

I would eat before, and bring some snacks with you. I carry my own small pillow. Havent figured out the blanket issue. Can you contact the airline and ask them exactly what "no amenities" means to them? (I would also bring an IPOD fully charged).

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,153 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What exactly does "no amenities" mean?

I've never heard of that one beore. "No amenities?" Was this something on their web site, or an email you received or something else? Maybe some context would help figure it out if no one else knows.

I can't imagine it would mean a flight with no food or drink!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What exactly does "no amenities" mean?

My IPOD and Shuffle are charged and loaded. The website said that there were no amenities so I checked further on the site for their definition of amenities and they listed entertainment, pillows, blankets, and food and beverage service. Maybe I'll try to find a number and give them a call. I wasn't planning on packing snacks, but will now. The flight is sounding grim.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What exactly does "no amenities" mean?

The website said that there were no amenities

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which website?

Both Continental and United serve complimentary meals on transatlantic flights.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What exactly does "no amenities" mean?

Remember to buy the drinks and snacks after security.

detroit, mi
Level Contributor
130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What exactly does "no amenities" mean?

Malaboo,

I see you reside in Buffalo, if true then the first flight would be from Buffalo to a Continental/ua hub like Newark or D.C. That flight would be short usually on a regional jet. It would take less than 90 minutes and no food would be served.

The Hub flight to London always serves a meal and has food and beverage service.

Was on a Continental regional jet a few months ago. Water and soda were served.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What exactly does "no amenities" mean?

That makes a lot of sense pkbroch!

Malaboo, you didn't mention that there were 2 flights involved.

One short hop and THEN the international flight.

International flights always have a free meal!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What exactly does "no amenities" mean?

I didn't know that international flights provide a meal. I fly once a year and this is only my third time out of the country so I don't do it very well. I start worrying early and often. thank goodness I have TA for all my silly questions. I called the airline and they are feeding us. The agent said that she didn't know why the site said no amenities. I have packed a small plastic bag with a few cookies, sports bars, and string cheese. Will it get thru security or should I just put it back into the fridge? Also, I am flying from Newark not buffalo. My DH loves to drive and is kindly dropping me off there.

Once again, TA comes through.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,346 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What exactly does "no amenities" mean?

As long as you have no drinks,yoghurt or other 'soft' snacks you should be fine. For the longer flight make sure you have some headphones as many airlines charge you for those now.

Have a good trip.

Daydream Island...
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What exactly does "no amenities" mean?

....so.....all is well. Enjoy your string cheese !