We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Contacts on international flights

Save Topic
Contacts on international flights

Does anyone know what the deal is with taking contact solution etc on flights?? Just wondering about the fluid restrictions??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Contacts on international flights

There is a brand called Reclens that sells contact lense solution in boxes of 5 x 10ml. Very inexpensive product (purchased from Chemist Warehouse in Melbourne). As I don't wear contact lenses all day every day I usually take a few boxes of these when I go on holidays.

Personally I prefer to wear glasses on the plane.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
23,640 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Contacts on international flights

It seems from some of the comments that contact lens solutions are way cheaper on Oz than in the UK. Even if you buy the full size solutions online or by mail order, you never get 'sample' sizes free. The only way I've found to ge the smaller sizes of solutions is to buy them, and it seems to me you pay 90% of the price to get 25% of the volume, so not value for money, hence why I opt for disposables on trips where I'm only taking hand luggage.

If I am checking luggage, then I use my normal, full size solution, wrapped in a plastic bag in case of leakage, as it's usually an already open bottle.

Yes, I could wear my glasses, but I'm far too vain to wear them out in public most of the time. However, on the rare occasions that I'm flying on an overnight flight in the luxury of a premium cabin up the pointy end, where I''ll get a flat bed, so am much more likely to be able to sleep, I will remove my lenses in the airport and switch to glasses, so I can take them off to sleep.

Although, as said, I normally wear my contact lenses when out and about, when I travel I always take my glasses as back up in case I get an eye infection and cannot wear my lenses - which has happened once - as I wouldn't want to miss being able to see the details of all the wonderful sights I have paid so dearly to travel to see. I also take a spare pair of my hard lenses, if I'm taking them, in case of loss or damage.

SWT

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Contacts on international flights

It's true (and annoying) that the 'travel size' is 120 ml. I carry two lens cases filled with solution on board, but I always take my lenses out as soon as I board as it's too drying on the aircraft and they become uncomfortable. If I'm only taking carry on then I use a 100 ml bottle purchased from the chemist, sterilized and filled from a large bottle. That's usually enough for up to a month.

I have seen small bottles (70 ml) for sale, but they are nearly the same cost as the large bottles.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,584 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Contacts on international flights

sussex, just in case you were in Australia and thinking of buying solutions there, they are way more expensive than the UK.

I ran out whilst there not so long ago and was surprised at the cost. Also the same in New Zealand which my usual brand cost me £13, and the same one was for sale in Kyoto (my next stop) for just over £4!

It really annoys my that I would normally ask my optician in the past for sample sizes to take away (I have worn contacts for over 30 years) now as I previously posted they are now called travel size. But the manufacturers know this and charge a premium for it. as well as changing the names of the solutions slightly, then putting the price up

If anyone is visiting Malaysia though, stock up in either Guardian or Watsons as the prices are very cheap for most brands of solutions.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Contacts on international flights

Thanks for that tip, scotlandscout. living in japan, i have stocked up on many items at good old watsons or guardian for international items (eg claratyne or other hayfever medication-- no international brands in japan and an ingredient japanese products all make me ridiculously drowsy). will have to check out contact lens solution next time to compare :)

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,584 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Contacts on international flights

Hi bimdonesia, I usually buy ReNu bought last lot for 3 x 355mls in a pack worked out at 39myr (Watson) or £7.90 , $12AUD a bargain! Btween the two big stores one usually has an offer on. Living in Malaysia I would send lots back to the UK so I am well stocked up now.

The shop in Kyoto was the one you find all over selling toiletries and household cleaners sorry cannot remember the name.

17. Re: Contacts on international flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 05:53