We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aer Arann Cabin Baggage

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Aer Arann Cabin Baggage

I've booked a short business trip (just one night) to Dublin with Aer Lingus for Thursday.

Looking at the small print, the flight is operated by Aer Arann, and it seems the cabin baggage is limited to 7kgs and 43x28x20cm.

Is this correct, and do they strictly enforce it?

It seems a lot smaller than the standard allowance of 55x40x20cm.

I'm not sure whether to chance it, and pay to put it in the hold if necessary.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks in advance

Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aer Arann Cabin Baggage

Bear in mind that they use small prop-driven planes, so there is physically less space on board - particularly in overhead lockers.

Level Contributor
2,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aer Arann Cabin Baggage

Last month we witnessed a lady having to check in a shoulder bag that was too big for the Aer Lingus/Aer Arrann rack at Bristol Airport despite her protestations that she'd always taken it on as hand baggage before. She was told (very politely) that Aer Lingus/Arrann have tightened up on their hand baggage allowances and the check-in staff had been instructed to enforce the rules far more strictly than they have previously done.

The bag was checked in, and much panicing in the queue behind her ...

If you do risk it, make sure it's a bag that you don't mind checking in if you have to, and that you can carry any valuables on your person if necessary.

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Aer Arann Cabin Baggage

We flew with Aer Lingus/Aer Arann from Dublin to Cardiff for the Heineken cup final this weekend. The baggage restrictions weren't enforced flying out of Dublin but when we went to check in at Cardiff airport yesterday they hit the majority of passengers for £17 to check in bags that would pass as standard hand luggage normally but were too large for their restrictions. They weighed everyone's bag & made them show that it fitted into their baggage allowance stand

Glasgow, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Aer Arann Cabin Baggage

In the end, I decided not to risk it, and booked my bag into the hold.

I didn't notice if they enforced it in Glasgow, but they definitely didn't in Dublin!

At the gate, there was one man with a normal size cabin bag, and 2 plastic carriers - the lady said there might not be room in the cabin as the flight was full. So she just tagged his bag without any fee!

I suppose you're probably best just taking your chance.

As an aside, I'm sure a normal size cabin case would easily fit in the overhead lockers on it's side. They weren't that small.

5. Re: Aer Arann Cabin Baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 08:18