We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Potential Virgin industrial action late June/Early July

Sheffield
Level Contributor
408 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Potential Virgin industrial action late June/Early July

Hello everyone,

On May 24th a ballot will be taken lasting 4 weeks, to vote on industrial action relating to pay and conditions. The result will be announced on the 21st June - with a minimum notice period of 7 days.

I am flying to Vegas from Manchester (flight only) on the 23rd June, returning on 3rd July (although landing at Manchester on the 4th July due to time difference).

Would I be entitled to a full refund if Virgin cannot guarantee me my return flight on the 3rd July - or could they put me on a different flight/date/time or indeed a different airline to get me home?

The hotel in Vegas requires at least 72 hours notice for cancellation - or you lose your 1st nights payment.

The flight is a direct flight which I booked and paid for in August of last year - how might this threatened industrial action affect me?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Potential Virgin industrial action late June/Early July

Since Virgin has already accepted your money I believe they have completed their agreement to deliver you to your destination and back again. However, I am not sure they will be able to physically do that if the airline employees walk off their jobs. It is a busy time of year, and other airlines may not have sufficient empty seats to absorb Virgin's passengers. Certainly you can expect that you schedule will be impacted.

I personally cannot imagine anyone walking away from a paying job in today's economy, and I doubt that Virgin employees will elect to do this, but I do not know how bad their working conditions are.

The hotel is technically allowed to charge you for the first night's room, but I would contact the hotel and inform them of the possibility that you may not be able to arrive on time due to no fault of your own. Many hotels will work with you if your cancellation is the result of outside forces. I have had several events when weather prevented me from arriving at a reserved hotel on the correct date, and I have never had a problem if I let the hotel know as soon as I knew.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Potential Virgin industrial action late June/Early July

<<Would I be entitled to a full refund if Virgin cannot guarantee me my return flight on the 3rd July - or could they put me on a different flight/date/time or indeed a different airline to get me home?>>

No*, yes and yes, in that order.

* even without a strike they cannot *guarantee* you a return on a specific date, the plane might have a mechanical fault for example.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Potential Virgin industrial action late June/Early July

However EU261 will come into force,so you will not be out of pocket.Virgin will probably not get that far.Not all the employees are in the union or will strike,so I would think it will get settled before any action.

And by the way,the ballot won't last four weeks,that is probably the notice period.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Potential Virgin industrial action late June/Early July

<<And by the way,the ballot won't last four weeks,that is probably the notice period.>>

I'm sure it will, the BA strike ballots were 4-6 weeks in duration, its because the staff are all over the world, they have to have a chance to take part in the ballot.

Royalowl, your travel insurance should also help you out should you be delayed, either with expenses for extra hotel stay (though I'd expect Virgin to pick that up), plus delay insurance, and even with an alternate flight back should Virgin not be able to get you back in a reasonable time. Plus, you would be entitled to 600 EUR from Virgin should you be delayed more than (IIRC) 12 hours.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Potential Virgin industrial action late June/Early July

Although an important rider for OP or others - travel insurance will only cover you against this industrial action (assuming your policy does) if bought before this announcement. Travel insurance bought now will not provide cover against known likelihoods, such as this.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Potential Virgin industrial action late June/Early July

A good point Scots_Al, I had assumed that the OP would have bought travel insurance at the same time or even before, they bought their flights but this is by no means a reasonable assumption given some of the posts we see on here.

Gliese 581 D
Level Contributor
601 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Potential Virgin industrial action late June/Early July

"Although an important rider for OP or others - travel insurance will only cover you against this industrial action (assuming your policy does) if bought before this announcement."

Luckily I bought mine before then but would travel insurance not still protect you if bought before the results of the ballot or before the ballot is initiated on May 24th?

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Potential Virgin industrial action late June/Early July

<<would travel insurance not still protect you if bought before the results of the ballot or before the ballot is initiated on May 24th?>>

No. The insurance co will say a strike was a known likelihood from the date the union announced there would be a ballot for a strike.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
408 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Potential Virgin industrial action late June/Early July

Sorry, forgot to mention. As some of you rightly point out - I arranged my travel insurance a few weeks back, way before the possibility of industrial action was mentioned.

Thankfully at the same time I upgraded to 'Gold' level cover, which covers Emergency Travel Arrangements.

10. Re: Potential Virgin industrial action late June/Early July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2012, 11:20