We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson & First Choice,why price difference in package hols?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson & First Choice,why price difference in package hols?

I've been tracking a holiday with Thomson and First Choice (which are part of the same company) and have noticed different prices for the same holiday, same departure airport, same flight time etc.

Obviously i will book the cheapest but just wondered why the prices are different, when its the same holiday and part of the same company?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,303 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson & First Choice,why price difference in package hols?

This happens all the time - just book the cheapest. May remember the same thing happened with Portland holidays. (Portland holidays are not available now but they were part of the Thomson group and the prices were much cheaper compared with Thomson's). Also look at other holiday companies as in my personal experience Thomson's prices have increased and the service has deteriorated. Good luck - enjoy your trip!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,558 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson & First Choice,why price difference in package hols?

They are part of the same group of companies, but they trade separately.

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson & First Choice,why price difference in package hols?

They don't trade separately. They are managed and operated by the same people in resort and the same headquarters in the UK. They are two separate brands but generally FC is geared towards families and Thomson is geared towards couples. The different pricing may be down to the fact that couples tend to pay more for their holidays than families, and they are relying on people booking a holiday with their preferred brand rather than shopping around.

As welshtraveller says, book the cheapest option and save your money.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,267 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson & First Choice,why price difference in package hols?

"They don't trade separately."

They do still trade as seperate companies. First Choice still have a presence on the UK high street.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson & First Choice,why price difference in package hols?

Sometimes there are subtle differences that can be difficult to ascertain because they are hidden in the small print, such as luggage allowance, whether meals are included on the flight, transfers, etc.

You may also find differences with customer support/helplines though usually you don't know these until you need to contact them.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson & First Choice,why price difference in package hols?

I prefer First Choice because lots of free child places more than thomson or thomas cook

Thomson is bit over price on the top

thomas cook is fairly good less free child places

tasha

London, United...
Level Contributor
502 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson & First Choice,why price difference in package hols?

It's the same with Thomas Cook & Direct Holidays - they're basically the same company, but 99% of the time DH are cheaper than TC by quite a considerable amount for exactly the same holiday - plus you get more luggage allowance & in-flight meals with DH as standard.

No idea of the reasoning behind how they can charge two completely - and sometimes wildly differing - prices for the same holiday!!

Kirkcaldy, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson & First Choice,why price difference in package hols?

We booked our holiday this year in a Thomson shop but got them to give us the

First Choice web price,saving about £ 150. The staff in the Thomson shop were not even aware of price differences between them and First Choice till I pointed it out to them.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson & First Choice,why price difference in package hols?

did you know next year 2012 no more flight meals? i think far away flight still have meals tasha

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,267 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson & First Choice,why price difference in package hols?

"but 99% of the time DH are cheaper than TC by quite a considerable amount for exactly the same holiday - plus you get more luggage allowance & in-flight meals with DH as standard"

I wouldn't say 99% of the time DH are cheaper than TC. I'm on both sites quite often comparing holidays and it's possibly a 50/50 split.

For example, I was looking only an hour or so ago for a break in Turkey for September this year. For exactly same dates and hotel (Green Park Apts) TC was £45 cheaper for two people self catering than DH from LBA. Other hotels were cheaper on TC too, but I didn't make a note of the hotel names.