We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription medicine into the US

Thisted, Denmark
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Prescription medicine into the US

We are going to Florida this summer, and have to bring Ritalin - which is a narcotic drug.

My doctor says the prescripson and a "PillPas" is enough, the American Ambassy says prescripson and a written letter from my doctor.

I'm getting mixed informations on how to prove it is for our use only. What papers do I have to bring to confirm this?

I don't wan't to risk loosing the pills in costums; or even worse being accused of drug smugling!!

I know this worst case scenario; but please help me with informations.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription medicine into the US

Seems to me and I am just using logic here, that as long as you take enough to cover your stay in the US plus a couple extra (just in case) with letter from doc you should be ok.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription medicine into the US

Ritalin, while a Schedule II drug in the US, is not a narcotic.

Bring the meds in the original container. That, along with a written letter and prescription should be enough. Doubt you will be asked to show any of it. Just pack the pills in your carryon, not your checked bags.

Thisted, Denmark
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription medicine into the US

Yeah I guess!!

Now I´ll just have to convince my doctor to write me that letter: Didn't sound like she was too kean on that!

Thanks for your answers.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,921 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription medicine into the US

A prescription should be enough. Unless you have 1000s of pills in duct taped to your body to avoid detection they are not going to think you are a drug smuggler.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription medicine into the US

IF you have the meds in the original Rx bottle, dont sweat the letter issue. if your doc wont give you a ltr, get another doctor.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,939 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription medicine into the US

I agree that if you have the meds in the original container with the scrip then it should be just fine. NOone will even ask you about it.

IF you have TONS of bottles then there might be questions since they might think you are selling the stuff. Ritalin is a very common scrip here in the USA!!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,305 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescription medicine into the US

Absolutely, any prescription medicines...carry in your hand luggage in their original containers. I usually carry the receipt/copy of Rx from the pharmacy with me as well. No Physician letter.

Make sure you take sufficient supply of all of your Rx medications.i.e # of days away + a week or so extra. Incase of loss, mishap etc...to be on the safe side. Sometime there can be a delay out of your control for your return home.

You'll be fine.

Thisted, Denmark
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescription medicine into the US

Thanks everyone :-)

I'm now a lot more calm.

9. Re: Prescription medicine into the US

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 05:19