We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Misspelt surname on airline ticket

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Misspelt surname on airline ticket

Hi all,

About 2 weeks ago, my girlfriend booked us a holiday to Turkey on June the 11th 2011. We've had the tickets yesterday and I've just noticed that my surname is very slightly misspelt - my surname is 'St Clair', and it's like this on my passport too. But on my ticket, it says Stclair, with no space.

I plan on phoning Thomas Cook, the agent we're travelling with, tomorrow to hopefully sort it out. But I've read all sorts of horror stories about them charging extortionate amounts to change this.

Is this going to be an issue for me?

I

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Misspelt surname on airline ticket

Name changes are normally expensive. Simple errors that are obvious to everyone are not normally an issue and free with most agents. But if they won't change it I really wouldn't worry too much staff at the gate are the only ones who look at passport and boarding card at same time and are normally busy chatting and don't even look properly.

Edited: 24 May 2011, 19:15
Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Misspelt surname on airline ticket

I wouldn't have thought that it would be a problem but call TC or pop into the nearest shop to double check.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Misspelt surname on airline ticket

I would't worry. My surname is hyphenated, but many ticketing systems can't cope with the hypen or a space, and both names come out as one. So instead of Ms Cameron-Clegg/S I'm usually listed and ticketed as Ms Cameronclegg/S. Never had a problem.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Misspelt surname on airline ticket

I don't think this is an error and doubt you will get it changed even if you are willing to pay a fee.

Lots of airlines leave out spaces in names and once my name was "lastnamefirstnamemrs" all together without any spaces at all. When I questioned why there were no spaces I was told that was the way it was!

The computer system where I work does exactly the same thing - it also hates hyphens and apostrophes!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,126 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Misspelt surname on airline ticket

I agree. It is not really a mispelled name. It is just how computers write it.

You will be just fine! My middle name is often put together with my first name as if it was one looong name. NO worries about leaving out a space!

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Misspelt surname on airline ticket

Thanks all,

I've just contacted Thomas Cook and you're absolutely right. It's not a misspelling and is just a limitation of their computer system. That's a relief! Thanks :)

7. Re: Misspelt surname on airline ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 07:17