We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to arrange a discount flight - advice?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to arrange a discount flight - advice?

I'm trying to arrange air travel to South Africa using expedia. We want to fly into Johannesburg and return two weeks later from Cape Town.

Fying in and out of different cities is a little pricey but I've found a less expensive return flight into and out of Cape Town. Our flight on the way there is via Johannesburg. I was thinking maybe that we could just get off in Johannesburg and not take the last leg of the flight. However, we would have to arrange to retrieve our luggage in Johannesburg instead of having it fly on to Cape Town! Has anyone ever done something like that? Is it a little too risky? I'm not trying to be cheap ... flights to SA are really expensive for a family of four and the cost savings are significant if we do it this way.

I would appreciate any advice...

Thanks!

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to arrange a discount flight - advice?

what u r trying to do would be against the terms and conditions of your ticket.

and anyway u wont be able to arrange collection of baggage at a intermediate stop unless of course u have to go thru customs etc in jo'berg.

Edited: 30 May 2011, 01:01
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to arrange a discount flight - advice?

and i should have added that if u were able to do this your return flight would be cancelled as u would be a no show on the jo'burg to cape town flight

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to arrange a discount flight - advice?

<<Has anyone ever done something like that?>>

Yep, there is even a name for it - "hidden city ticketing". Do this and your flights back from Capetown will be cancelled automatically. So it wont work out cheaper at all, but probably double or more the cost as you'd have to buy new one way tickets back from capetown. The only way it can* work is if you drop the very last leg of your ticket, but that doesn't apply to you.

Not advised :-)

EDIT: I see Lien got in whilst I was slowly typing :-)

* Still lots of issues but you haven't got any more flights to be cancelled. Still, generally not a good idea for other reasons.

Edited: 30 May 2011, 01:15
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to arrange a discount flight - advice?

Tro going to the airlines website and booking an open jaw (multi city) ticket instead of using a 3rd party vendor. You might be able to get better pricing there.

You might also want to check options on the below link. It lets you search multiple departure/arrival airports at one time as well as a date range of up to 30 days. They do not sell tickets, but are a good research tool.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to arrange a discount flight - advice?

Or talk to a human travel agent. What you are trying to do is called an 'open jaw' return. There are often fares that allow you to do this at a 'common rated' fare - ie all the cities in a destination country are set the same irrespective of which ones you fly in/out of.

NEVER intentionally miss a flight in the middle of an itinerary......

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to arrange a discount flight - advice?

As well as problems with the airlines,you may set off a few security bells trying to do this,which might make your return interesting.

I would recommend not attempting it.

7. Re: Trying to arrange a discount flight - advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2012, 06:18