We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Miles expire May 31.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Miles expire May 31.

My son's miles with United are due to expire on May 31. I have tried online shopping twice and neither transaction has yet been credited to his account. Car hire is not an option at this stage.

Any ideas as to the quickest and cheapest way to get activity on his account so that miles are not lost altogether?

Australia
Level Contributor
835 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Miles expire May 31.

Buy miles directly from the UA website - I have done that in the past to keep miles active. Minimum buy is US$75.

What about transferring if you have another account? But I am not sure if transferring miles keeps the recipient active - it's a cheaper option than buying direct.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,362 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Miles expire May 31.

www.flyertalk.com Find the UA forum. On all of them there is a thread going "my miles are about to expire"

Or just call UA and ask them!

3. Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Miles expire May 31.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 14:44
Edited: 30 May 2011, 14:44
NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Miles expire May 31.

i like the idea of calling United.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Miles expire May 31.

I would not waste my time calling UA about this.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k4228267…

None of these suggestions worked?

Here's the thread you want on flyertalk.com:

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-…

Edited: 30 May 2011, 21:03
kentucky
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Miles expire May 31.

I hope you've been able to get the miles saved--youve been dealing with this issue for months. You knew in February that the miles would expire today. I don't get it--you saved one account, but not the other?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Miles expire May 31.

I hired a car in Australia using this account and waited for those miles to be credited (still waiting). When it was clear they would not come through I bought 2 items with MP shopping and nothing has been credited to his account. So yes I did exactly the same with my wife's account and all was fine but for this one the credits have not come through yet.

Edited: 30 May 2011, 21:47
kentucky
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Miles expire May 31.

perhaps they didn't recognize your son as the renter, since you did the transaction. I think you waited a bit long to re-check--If you have all the receipts and dates, you should be able to prove that you've done your part...Good luck!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Miles expire May 31.

The rental just has a FF number so it should not matter. Anyway rather than going through that hassle I have made a donation to Make-A-Wish and his miles now expire Nov 2012. Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I will make sure to get onto it 6 months ahead of expiry date if it happens again.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,875 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help!!!!!!!!!!!! Miles expire May 31.

What a great way to save the miles and save someone's hopes. SWEET