We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Queries for travelling with Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Queries for travelling with Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air

We have just booked flights LAS to FCA via SEA, return, with Alaska/Horizon for our September trip, and wanted to check a few points. We have flown with both airlines on a similar route before, but not for 3 years, and are well aware that in the meanwhile, domestic travel in the USA has changed significantly, and that we will have a better experience by being aware of current regulations. I have searched the website for all of this, but either failed to find the answers.

1: Seat allocation. When going thru the booking process, it invited us to choose our seats for both parts (one flight on Alaska, the other on a Horizon/Alaska) of the outward flight, but we got no option to do this for the return flight. Now we have the booking confirmation, we see it has automatically allocated seats for both return legs as well and we’re not happy with these. Can we change these seats now? How do we change the seats? I cannot find a ‘manage my booking’ or similar option on the website.

2: Online check-in: Do Alaska/Horizon offer this? If so, how far in advance of travel can you do this? Can you also check-in for the return flight at the same time as the outward flight? Our return travel is 18 days later. Again, where on the website do I find OLCI?

3: Checked baggage. We know we have to pay for this. We know how much, too - $20 per bag, for first 3 bags per passenger. We know the size and weight limits. However, we cannot see whether you need to or even can book/pay for this in advance of travel. (We are also aware of the tiny hand baggage allowance and that for the Horizon flights we will have the ala cart system in operation for this).

3: Food and drink: Do Horizon still serve complimentary local microbrews and wines on domestic flights, or do they charge for this now? As we will be in coach, we expect to have to pay for everything on Alaska.

Any other tips and suggestions to improve our experience?

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Queries for travelling with Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air

1. Right on the main screen, below the boxes where you fill in origin and destination etc. there ought to be a link to "manage reservation" which ought to take you to a screen where you can book/change seat assignments. If it won't let you, the usual reason is that the flights are fully booked. If it's on the return portion, when you get to the USA just phone Alaska and see what you can do on the phone.

2. 24 hours. Look right above the "manage reservation" link for "check in."

3. Yes, you can pay when checking in online.

4. Yes, no charge on Horizon, pay for everything on AS.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Queries for travelling with Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air

Thanks,ibgardyloo. I expected all the vital stuff to be on the bar along the top or linked to the bar thru a drop down menu. I didn't think I'd need to look down the page for a button below the new booking box!

Have now managed to change the seats. I know that they aren't guaranteed, but we can live in hope we get our selection.

Sadly, as the flights are in the middle of our trip, so can't be linked to our international travel we will have to pay for the checked bags. Our other domestic flights are with SW so free bags, but no food or drink at all!

I thought I'd just check all this as it's a few years since we did much domestic flying within the USA. We're currently pretty au fait with many of Europe's LCCs - and their rules, quirks and foibles are greater!

SWT

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Queries for travelling with Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air

Hello Sussex,

A couple of other things. Call Alaska regarding your flights on the way back. The flight is probably full.

This happened to me recently and after talking to a representative they requested a seat that was reserved for MVP members. They just clear it with a supervisor.

Also you can only check in for each flight 24 hours prior to that flight.

Safe travels.

Chris

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Queries for travelling with Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air

Thanks, Chris, for your help.

Now a further thought: If you can only do OLC 24 hours prior to each flight, what happens about the fact that each trip is actually 2 flights? Outward, first flight is Alaska flight with AS flight number, second flight is Horizon code share with QX number, the return obviously being the reverse. As they were all booked and paid for in one transaction, does each pair of flights count as 1 flight so we can check in for both out and return at 24 hors before the first flight each time and confirm our flight and print boarding passes for both sets of flights in one go, or do we need to do 4 lots of OLCI?

Or what? Logically, we should only need 2 lots of checking as our bag fees cover both flights that make up each trip.

Thanks again,

SWT

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,518 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Queries for travelling with Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air

When you check in on line you are checked in for both flights (even if the second one is more than 24h out) and can print out both boarding passes at the same time. If you don't have access to a printer, you can specify that when you do OLCI, then when you get to the airport use one of the automatic check-in kiosks at the ticket counter to print both boarding passes e.g. LAS-SEA and SEA-FCA. Or, if you're checking bags, you can also get your BPs - for both flights - when you do so. If you just have hand-carry, print out the BPs and go straight to security.

Meant to add, if you have seats selected, there's really no upside to hovering around the computer at 24h 1m before flight time. Do it in the morning before your flight, or when it's convenient to you.

Edited: 31 May 2011, 16:23
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Queries for travelling with Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air

But if you want "better" seats on Alaska, they will open up all the blocked seats at the 24 hour check-in time. If you are happy with your seat selection, no need to bother.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,230 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Queries for travelling with Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air

Thanks both for your responses and comments.

That makes complete sense and is logical. It's just that I do know that some LCCs and domestic carriers these days operate as just point to point airlines, and that even if you make several flight reservations at the same time, they aren't necessarily linked in any way. Each of our flights has a separate booking number per flight and passengers, so you can never be too sure!

Now we just need to hope that there are no irrops to cause the cancellation of the last flight to FCA that night!

BTW, one very civilised comment about AS: It seems we will get FF points for our preferred airline, which has no obvious relationship to Alaska.

SWT

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Queries for travelling with Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air

Alaska isn't in an airline alliance, but they do have relationships with many airline partners, allowing you a choice where you wish to bank your FF miles.

9. Re: Queries for travelling with Alaska Airlines/Horizon Air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2012, 05:22