We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair restrictions/electrical items

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
226 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair restrictions/electrical items

After trawling through loads of flights, i know a lot of people moan about their high charges, but i have booked flights to Lanzarote with hold baggage and priority boarding, for less than any other airline. So i am one happy bunny, lol! I know as long as i stick to the Rules all shall be peaceful, but on reading the pages and pages of stuff on their website, one thing is unclear. It says to pack personal electical equipment and medicines in the hand luggage not in checked luggage. So are:- iPods, travel clock, camera,batteries, hairdryer: all hand luggage??? As i am a bit of a 'just in case' person,the majority of my medicines cupboard travels with me,so does all everyday stuff need to go in hand luggage then? paracetamtol, anti-histamine cream, etc etc Are these also to go in hand luggage as well?

Sorry for the long question!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair restrictions/electrical items

iPods go in your pocket, everything else can go wherever you want unle3ss your hairdryer is made of gold.

Anti-histamine cream is a liquid and hence is subject to the standard rules on liquids in hand luggage

Marrakech
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair restrictions/electrical items

I would put the ipod and camera in your hand luggage and everything else in your suitcase. When it refers to medicine, I think they are referring to medicines that have to be taken frequently, i.e. for someone with diabetes, asthma, heart problems, etc.

n ireland
Level Contributor
205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair restrictions/electrical items

im traveling with thomas cook, do i have to put electricals such as hairdryer & straighters in hand luggage or can i put them in to my hold luggage.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair restrictions/electrical items

You can put them in whichever piece of luggage you like, there are no restrictions on electrical items except for things like cordless electric knives. Just don't put anything worth money or important in checked luggage

n ireland
Level Contributor
205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair restrictions/electrical items

thank you alanrow for ur reply, im traveling with my 2 year old grandaughter and toddlers seem to need a lot of stuff to occupy them during the flight,so i need my hand luggage allowance for her.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair restrictions/electrical items

Agree the above; the advice about carrying on electrical goods comes not from the airlines but from experienced travellers who know that there's a (hopefully small) chance that you will experience theft of attractive electronics, cameras, etc from hold luggage. So safest to pack valuables in hand luggage unless that takes you over Ryanair's increasingly rigidly enforced size and 10kg weight limits.

The advice about creams and pastes comes from the airlines and the security authorities, who, until they change the rules, want all pastes and liquids over 100ml to go in checked in hold luggage, and smaller bottles, tubes and sprays of cosmetics and beautymagik liquids of 100ml max to go in little ziplock plastic bags if you carry them on. Tablets are no problem in either hold or carry-on bags.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair restrictions/electrical items

If you don't want to lose it, carry it!

Have a look at this www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6326085n

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,453 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair restrictions/electrical items

Prescription medicines which may be difficult to replace if lost or if your checked bag is delayed should always be in a carryon. The first aid stuff you take ,"just in case" is usually available at your destination. I would pack it in my checked bag.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,128 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair restrictions/electrical items

My carry-on contains the things it would be most expensive or difficult to replace. My medication is in there, as well as my jewelry, my iPod, my laptop and my camera. If it is expensive I carry it with me.

If it is less expensive and easily replaced I put it, along with all my liquid items, in my checked luggage.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,876 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair restrictions/electrical items

"My carry-on contains the things it would be most expensive or difficult to replace. My medication is in there, as well as my jewelry, my iPod, my laptop and my camera. If it is expensive I carry it with me. "

I'd also include a change of underwear and a toothbrush