We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia was fantastic.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Alitalia was fantastic.

I flew Alitalia this past May (coach) and it was the best experience of the 4 flights and 7 train rides I took during my European trip. From the customer service reps to the flight attendants - every employee I encountered was friendly and helpful. The plane was clean, the seats were comfortable and I was shocked to receive a complimentary glass of wine, water, and a package of very tasty snack chips. We departed on-time and arrived on-time. What more could you ask for from a 90 minute plane ride that cost only 179 US dollars?

Way to go Alitalia!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,142 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alitalia was fantastic.

Hi richnterry, I remember your lovely description of the Aventine Hill in Rome so thanks for writing something about Alitalia too. Can you tell me where the flight started/ended? It sounds like it was in internal European flight.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alitalia was fantastic.

Hi,

I'm trying to post as much information as I can, so I'm jumping around a bit. I'm fairly new to Trip Advisor and I'm still learning. The Alitalia flight was from Barcelona to Rome. I always hear so many complaints about the airlines and I really felt compelled to say something positive. We took several flights during this trip (US Airways & SpanAir too) and we had very pleasant experiences. I mentioned Alitalia specifically because I expected little and in return it was the best carrier experience of the trip. If you would like to see the rest of my pictures and videos, we did a blog for this trip and I can send you the link.

Richard

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,796 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alitalia was fantastic.

It is good to hear positive reviews of Alitalia. They must be trying to improve.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
532 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alitalia was fantastic.

Alitalia have improved tremendously since the dark days of the late 1990s - when their new CEO admitted he would not fly Alitalia but for the fact he was in charge of the airline ! You used to be guaranteed plenty of empty seats next to you in economy - not any more !

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alitalia was fantastic.

Glad to hear that Alitalia has improved. I remember PAYING for an Alitalia flight form London to Hong Kong via Rome. I never got to step inside their plane as there were delays, problems etc etc ...So although I was booked and paid for an Alitalia Flight, i was actually transferred to British Airways in both directions!

I was elated....one flight each way (no changing in Rome) and a British Airways return flight for the price of a discounted Alitalia flight!!

I was also wondering if your impression of Alitalia was due to American carriers seemingly / reportedly of an even lower quality than Alitalia! (or as it was )

Edited: 04 June 2011, 22:13
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,323 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alitalia was fantastic.

Although good to hear one data point does not make a scientific experiment.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alitalia was fantastic.

I'm glad to know this Richard. Sounds as though they're trying to improve things. Regardless of what you're told I do not feel one has to be an airline's frequent flyer in order to judge accurately.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
532 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alitalia was fantastic.

On a short European flight travelling in economy, Alitalia are now at a similar level to most European "national flag carriers", and I would say preferable to those that charge for a drink eg Iberia & SAS. I've not had any delays in the past few years when travelling Alitalia. However, their business class still has some way to get to the level of BA, Lufthansa etc

I can't comment on their long-haul services though

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,038 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alitalia was fantastic.

The Pope seems to like them ;-)

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
27 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alitalia was fantastic.

In response to hemikiwi's question.

No, I always hear complaints about US Airways and my last two domestic (coach) roundtrip flights (Phila to Columbia,SC & Phila to Houston,TX) were just fine. We were pretty close to on time and customer service was good too.

I just flew US Airways RT to Barcelona (coach) and going we left on time and returning we left two hours late and arrived in Philly a little over an hour late. I enjoyed both flights. The food, the at seat entertainment, and the customer service were great.

The reason I commended Alitalia was because from beginning to end everything was perfect. When do you ever have perfection in this day and age of air travel?

I realize one flight does not qualify as a scientific experiment, but I will travel Alitalia again just to see what happens.