We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checked baggage charge- changing planes in U.S. to Europe

Southern Cal.
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Checked baggage charge- changing planes in U.S. to Europe

I'm going to Turkey from LAX to JKF to Istanbul. I'm on American Airlines from LAX to JFK but switch to Turkish Airlines to go to IST. The trip is booked as one itinerary on Expedia. AA allows 1 free checked baggage to Europe but it is not clear if that applies if one changes airlines or if the change occurs while still in the U.S.

Does anyone have any experience with this or similar? I have a inquiry sent to Expedia but thought I'd check with other travelers too while I was waiting for their response.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checked baggage charge- changing planes in U.S. to Europe

I am pretty sure it will depend if its one ticket, or two seperate tickets. If you can see two separate ticket numbers I think you are out of luck.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
579 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checked baggage charge- changing planes in U.S. to Europe

You learn something new every day !

I wasn't aware that American charged for checked-in baggage in economy for US domestic flights, but according to their web-site they do. Only if you have a full fare ticket ( class Y ) or have an elite status in their frequent flyer scheme will the charge not be applied.

I would say your connection with Turkish Airlines is irrelevant - they have no alliance with American

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
5,632 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checked baggage charge- changing planes in U.S. to Europe

I found out that we have a code share flight from West Texas connecting in Houston then on to Toronto CO/AC ..we have to pay for checked bag on the first leg so I am guess you may have the same problem

Maybe call AA to clarify

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checked baggage charge- changing planes in U.S. to Europe

If you're on one ticket, you should have 1 ticket number starting with 235. That is Turkish Airlines numerical code and as they are the first over the water carrier, is the one Expedia should have ticketed you on. Since it is an international itinerary, I do not think you should be subject to checked baggage fees. Your best bet is to call or e-mail AA to verify.

If you have 2 ticket numbers, one starting with 235 and one with 001 (AA's numerical code), you are on 2 separate tickets and will be subject to the checked baggage fee. In addition to this, if you are on 2 separate tickets, you will probably need to pick up and recheck your bags when you get to JFK.

New Bern, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Checked baggage charge- changing planes in U.S. to Europe

My experience from the USA,to the UK,to London and then on to Edinburgh,all went straight thru to destination,however that was a few years ago,also my niece flew from the UK VIA Germany to the US and luggage was straight thru.

Southern Cal.
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checked baggage charge- changing planes in U.S. to Europe

Interesting comments. I only have one ticket number and that starts with 235 so my best guess is that I have the international ticket all the way through per Vegas-guide's info above. However, although I have only one ticket number, I have a confirmation code from AA and a different one from Turkish Airlines. I'll call AA too as most people have suggested

I am surprised (or maybe not!) that there are so many possible outcomes.

Thanks for your willingness to share your expertise and experiences.

New Bern, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Checked baggage charge- changing planes in U.S. to Europe

GOOD LUCK,ENJOY YOUR TRIP, I have a friend living in Turkey right now,and loving it.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,288 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Checked baggage charge- changing planes in U.S. to Europe

Reason for the 2 different PNR"s (Record Locators) is that AA and Turkish Air use separate reservations systems. AA uses Sabre whereas Turkish Air uses their own in house system. However, since you only have the one ticket number, you should be ticketed all the way to your final destination.

Be sure to check your baggage tags when departing LAX to verify the bags are checked all the way through to IST. Even though AA and TK are not in the same alliancem they should have a ticketing agreement and transfer your bags at JFK.

New Bern, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Checked baggage charge- changing planes in U.S. to Europe

there YOU GO Cheryl...Nashville,makes sense...good job TN.

Southern Cal.
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Checked baggage charge- changing planes in U.S. to Europe

Finally got confirmation that AA will allow one checked back free as does Turkish Airlines. I'll take the printout from the airline with me just in case. Will let you know if that is what really happened when I get back in mid Sept.