We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Didcot Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Cabin Crew 'Stole upgrade Cash' The Sun 4th June 2011

Think this was just the tip of the iceberg, What is Virgin's policy on upgrades, we were in economy and they were asking for 30.00 to sit in window seats yet on the flight out no charge was made. Also think Virgin crew's have got too big for their boots. Did ask Virgin customer servcies on our return for an explanation but were basically given short shift and bog standard reply. How mush has been covered up?

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Cabin Crew 'Stole upgrade Cash' The Sun 4th June 2011

can you post again and explain exactly what happened and who 'stole' money? and what was the 'bog standard' reply? and where was the flight?

then someone might be able to advise........

pam

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Cabin Crew 'Stole upgrade Cash' The Sun 4th June 2011

thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3618782/Fligh…

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Cabin Crew 'Stole upgrade Cash' The Sun 4th June 2011

Well that half of it. Doesn't help with the OP's question though, if there is one.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,279 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Cabin Crew 'Stole upgrade Cash' The Sun 4th June 2011

OP, did you pay cash?

Didcot Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Cabin Crew 'Stole upgrade Cash' The Sun 4th June 2011

To Pam

allocation of seats on flight no VS672

We paid 50.00 to upgrade for two passengers on our flight out to Nairobi but these seats were by the emergency exit so that was ok. This flight was also not full and we were told that when the seat belt signs went off we could move seats if we wanted, most people did.

On our return journey we were asked at check in if we wanted to upgrade our seats again but we chose not too, we did ask if any of the two seats were available by the window but we were told they were all booked. When we boarded the plane about ¾ of the window seats were empty when the woman in front of us moved the the window seat she was asked for 30.00 to upgrade, I have enclosed our seat receipts and she was the one in front of Norman, in the end she paid $56.00.

I did think it was funny when we tried online to book seats as these seats were all shaded as not bookable so they may have an extra pitch and we did not know about it. One lady actually accused the stewardess of this being a “scam” and the lady was given short shift.

What I don't understand is that there was no explanation as to why these economy seats by the window were 30.00..the pitch was the same. I wrtoe to Virgin and all I got back was a preprinted letter on Extra leg room seats!

They did not answer my question at all.

Trouble is I have no proof of any scam only that they were trying to collect money for seat upgrades when this was not charged on the way out.

The crew were very off hand and very rude to one older passenger and it was not justified.

Never mind you can't beat them so I won'tt evr fly with them again.

Thanks for your response.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Cabin Crew 'Stole upgrade Cash' The Sun 4th June 2011

That is a much clearer explanation and certainly sounds like a scam to me, the only seats I am aware of they charge extra money for, are the bulkhead/exit rows, and the last 2 or 3 rows at the back. But that is for all seats, not just window.

I would write back to Virgin making it very clear that these were standard window seats, not with extra pitch and see what they say.

Didcot Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Cabin Crew 'Stole upgrade Cash' The Sun 4th June 2011

Thanks for your reply Joe....I tried writing to Virgin and even explained this to the girls in the Virgin store in Oxford but to no avail, even the girls could not understand the upgrade price. Trouble is its like banging your head against a brick wall where Virgin are concerned they really don't want to know all they want is your money. Was tempted to wrtie to Simon Calder as see what he had to say? Off shot is that I've now cancelled my next holiday with Virgin on principle.....I certainly don't mind paying for a service but will not be ripped off....I've got 81,000 miles with frequent flyer and have never come across this rule before.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Cabin Crew 'Stole upgrade Cash' The Sun 4th June 2011

Who did you write to?

You might seek out the flyertalk virgin forum and post there asking if anyone has come across this practice. You'll have to register to post. flyertalk.com/forum/virgin-flying-club-506/ After that, assuming its not an approved practice according to the folks there, write to the Virgin CEO, asking for an explanation why crew were asking £30 for ordinary window seats.

I wouldn't let this rest until I either found out its a "special" thing Virgin do on this route, or its just a scam, because the crew operating it deserve to be fired if the latter. I have certainly never heard of such a practice for ordinary window seats.Just to be sure, you are not talking about the last 2 or 3 rows back and people moving into those? Just bog-standard ordinary window seats? So you were asked to pay just for shuffling along to the left or right?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,661 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Cabin Crew 'Stole upgrade Cash' The Sun 4th June 2011

Hi,

If you really want to push the matter, I might suggest you contact Virgin's Corporate Security Department..

The airlines CSD usually handles all matters involving fraud (both internal and external ticket fraud), theft (employee and contractor), embezzlement, willful destruction or defacement of property, and other matters... They commonly work very closely with local law enforcement..

Once CSD gets involved, they rarely back off until they're satisfied that either no 'wrongdoing' was committed or the case have been referred to the proper internal or external entities for action

Commonly the internal entity is the airlines own HR department if it pertains to personnel actions like terminations, suspensions and other disciplinary actions. The external entity is commonly the local, regional or national law enforcement agency with jurisdiction over the case at hand if it's going to move into a formal criminal or civil court matter.

Since the matter you allude to involve actual cash, I would be surprised that so long as it can't be properly explained via some internal policy or the like, that the CSD would want to take a look at the matter...

Finding out how to contact the airlines' CSD (each airline calls it something different, but each one has one) can be a bit hard, as they're not commonly a public-facing entity and usually don't directly interact with the passenger unless for cause... So you might have to do some phone calling around to get a hold of the department... but they're out there... trust me.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 06 June 2011, 14:15
Didcot Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
6 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin Cabin Crew 'Stole upgrade Cash' The Sun 4th June 2011

Hi Joe

I wrote to Virgin customer services in Gatwick who sent me back a letter stating that for 30.00 you could purchase 3" extra legroom available on check in or by calling 48 hours before travel. What I cannot understand is that the plane was 1/2 empty and on the way out we could sit where we wanted but on the way back 30.00 for a window seat. Think we were in row 53 and not at the back of the plane. Problem is now that I have no proof of seat pitch so cannot really take it any further just wondered if anyone else out there had come across the same problem.

Have now e mailed Simon Calder and asked if he has come across this rule on his travels?