We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some real problems with Delta platinums flying with Air Fran

New Orleans
Level Contributor
19 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Some real problems with Delta platinums flying with Air Fran

THIS is NOT a DELTA problem. I am a Delta platinum elite and my wife is a gold elite and we have been for many, many years with Northwest. I think I might have 3,000,000 frequent flyer miles over my lifetime. In the last 6 months or so the treatment my wife and I, and apparently many, many others, have gotten at the hands of Air France has been nothing short of disgraceful. In November 2010, coming out of Paris on the 3rd of December they put us in the center of a 4 seat isle in the back of the plane. My wife was ill, so the poor person on her end of the isle was really in a bad place. We did complain when we got back to Atlanta and to the Platinum line on several occasions. Delta representatives said they were getting a lot of complaints from Delta elites like us and even they personally had bad experiences with Air France and tried not to fly them. This past May, we incurred another bad experience with Air France when we flew from Atlanta to Paris on flight AF 683. We had booked our flight personally through the Delta 800 line and were assigned in rows 35,36. When we checked in the day of the flight we had been put in row 47 in the back in the middle two seats. I called the Elite line for Delta and was told they were locked out of Air Frances seating reservations and that we would have to check at the gate for other seating options. When we got to the gate in Atlanta, the Air France staff was less than friendly, and basically gave us the cold shoulder. A rather nasty guy at the Air France gate, told us the flight was over booked and we were lucky to get seats at all. I was polite and calm and reminded them I had 3,000,000 frequent flyer miles with Delta-Northwest but this was the worst my wife and I had ever been treated in 30 years. We were pretty much told to count our blessings that we even had seats and then to “go sit down and wait for boarding.” Only upon boarding did they miraculously find 2 seats in about row 43-42 on the isle across from each other. On the connecting flight from CDG to Naples on the 7th of May we finally found some very nice girls who saw we were madder than Hell and were at least civil at the Air France elite check- in at CDG. They said they would fix that right now. SOOO sorry. They put in the VERY LAST ROW of the plane. HOWEVER, they did tell us that our Skymiles numbers had never been put in the Air France system. I talked to others in the Delta Skymiles club and this was a frequent experience.

Needless to say, in the future we will avoid flying Air France. I would advise anyone reading this to stay clear particularly if you are a sky team elite. These people don’t give a crap and are eager to tell you so. This not a DELTA PROBLEM and they gave us some certificates for each of us, for bringing this to their attention with details they needed to confirm our complaints. We did file a complaint with Air France and Delta. We got a detailed reply from Delta in a couple of weeks. Nothing from Air France in 6 weeks.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some real problems with Delta platinums flying with Air Fran

So the only "problem" you had was that you didn't like the seats? I can understand why the staff wasn't more accommodating if you were madder than hell over that. No cancelled flight or horrible delays, just the location of your seat....

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some real problems with Delta platinums flying with Air Fran

The seating you got seems to be the problem. You booked Delta flights using Air France aircraft. I think there is always a chance of having problems-not just with seating-when booking codeshared airlines. I've flown with Air France many times now. The one time I had problems with seating was when I booked an award seat with them through Continental Airlines. Otherwise, I've never had any problems with seats booked for either myself or for my family with AF directly, and I'm far from being a high standing frequent flyer.

Edited: 19 June 2011, 06:23
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,882 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some real problems with Delta platinums flying with Air Fran

I have a little sympathy with the OP, as he is flying within alliance as an elite. But, as he's discovered, you are still flying on another airline who first and foremost looks after their own. Bottom line is that your benefits are EQMs and lounge access.

My experience is that it's no different in *A. I've had similar short shrift from Lufthansa as a United 1K. Ironically I eventually got my seat switched from middle seat back of plane to a very good aisle seat at the front of the Y cabin, by a British Airways rep manning the lounge at SEA!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,758 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some real problems with Delta platinums flying with Air Fran

My son and his g-friend are not elite. They were flying on a ticket I bought for them using my Delta Amex + miles. We were not allowed to buy an Air France flight but they were put on one when schedules changed.

When they checked in at CDG they were told that the 2 computer systems(Delta and Air France) do NOT talk to each other well and it took the check in person more than 1/2 an hour just to find them in the system and check them in.

I mention this story because I think that the computer issue is part of the reason that elite Delta fliers are not getting put into the system as elite and that is adding to the problem!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some real problems with Delta platinums flying with Air Fran

First, other people's complaints and anecdotal evidence you hear from agents, has absolutely nothing to do with your complaint, which seems to be all about seat assignments and "rude" AF agents.

You state:

"We had booked our flight personally through the Delta 800 line and were assigned in rows 35,36. When we checked in the day of the flight we had been put in row 47 in the back in the middle two seats"

You have 3,000,000 miles and you don't regularly check your itinerary for any changes? You would have had a lot more seat choices if you'd spotted this a little early then at check in.

When you found out your seats had been changed at check in for this flight you say:

"I called the Elite line for Delta and was told they were locked out of Air Frances seating reservations and that we would have to check at the gate for other seating options."

Well yes, at this point, the seats were under airport control. No one at any airline could have changed them for you. You had to wait until you got to the airport. Not sure why you would call DL for seat assignment changes on AF? Usually, you need to call the operating carrier.

Then after this bad experience, you booked AF again?:

"This past May, we incurred another bad experience with Air France when we flew from Atlanta to Paris on flight AF 683."

Again, looks like you didn't look at this itinerary until you checked in and you again found the seat assignment changed:

"A rather nasty guy at the Air France gate, told us the flight was over booked and we were lucky to get seats at all. I was polite and calm and reminded them I had 3,000,000 frequent flyer miles with Delta-Northwest ."

I wasn't there, but past experience of reading posts on this board is when people don't get what they want, the agent was, "cold", "rude", "nasty", etc. Have no idea what happened in your case. If the flight was overbooked, you probably were lucky to have seats. Why would you think AF would possibly care how many miles you had with DL? This is kind of a DYKWIA attitude.

What in the world did you "file a complaint" about? Seat assignment changes? Every airline retains the right to change your seat; no seat assignment is guaranteed.

In your 3,000,000 miles of flying, haven't you ever had a seat assignment changed?

P.S. Using paragraphs makes a rant much easier to read.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
19 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some real problems with Delta platinums flying with Air Fran

What you are not getting, it's all my fault, is that we were LOCKED out of Air France' reservation system AND so was Delta, which is what I said in the original complaint and ONLY when we checked in did we see we had been sent to the back of tha plane, and to deal with the gate agent for any changes. When we did that we were told by an Air France person at gate 10 in Terminal E Atlanta that the flight was over sold and we would be lucky to get a seat at all. In 50 years of international fyling have I filed or noted bad behavior.

These people are, in my opinion singleing out Elites from other airlines particualrly Deltal and they think so too.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some real problems with Delta platinums flying with Air Fran

I don't quite understand this last post.

You were unable, at 24 hours before the flight, to use your confirmation number with AF and pull up your reservation? It was gone?

If you have been flying internationally for 50 years and you've never had a problem yet, you certainly defy statistics.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some real problems with Delta platinums flying with Air Fran

You are both high level elites ( or so you say) In my experience people on this level don't fly economy. You usually have more than enough points to fly in at least business without paying for it. Something is just not sitting correctly. ( sorry)

New Orleans
Level Contributor
19 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some real problems with Delta platinums flying with Air Fran

Dear friends

Sounds like most of you are Air France employees.

The reason I am mentioning the above, is that all the Delta people told us were just one of many people who were complaining. Other people we met at Air France's waiting areas around teh world experienced the same demeaning treatment.

SO As I said it is only in the last months this has been a problem.You are some of the only people who have anything good to say about Air France. As a matter of fact you are the only people which makes me wonder. Let me tell you something else I sent this note to Air France 6 weeks ago and asked them for a reply. They could have said go to HELL that would have been fine with me and in characeter with them but NOTHING. Delta's reply was thoughtful and based on the detailed ticket info etc I gave them.

I do know that the computers are a problem, as was mentioned in earlier emails. I did call Air France directly and they said Delta handeled all the resesrvations.----------- Delta said they were LOCKED out of their system. Which is what is so frustrating.

In posting this I was hoping to get updates with Sky team elites recent tratement by Air France

So hwy do I fly Air France at all GOOD QUESTION

Because

1 Until 9 months ago I had a couple of good flights with Air France through Northwest Delta and KLM where the seat assignment as booked were honored.

2 I like the 777s they fly to Paris. Deltas 767 are just not as nice. My wife and I go to Paris every year.

We are very frequent flyers but not for business. With a lot of experience, and not a lot of money, nomattter what every rdgaldys experience is. We are frugal pay with our own money. We pay a lot of attention to customer service and dis-service which is the foundation of frequent flyer programs. NO ONE has ever changed our booked seats and then threatened not to let us on the flight. And were just plain nasty about it.

It might be computers, but when I mentioned to the gate people who said they did not have any space and we migth not get on the flight 10 minutes later he magically found 2 isle seats at about row 43 across from each other. So they were there all along. I am just warning all Sky Team elites if they get S*%^$ed by Air France they need to get in line with my wife and I.

Lets keep this going. I am getting a lot of activity. And have posted this on other flyer websites. This is being read a lot. As the first guy advised I will rework the original message in more readable paragraphy and post it world wide.

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some real problems with Delta platinums flying with Air Fran

It's a typical reaction/response that when one doesn't receive the answers one expects here, the accusations of others working for the airline(s) in question pops up. This happens what-99.99% of the time or so?