We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage!!!

Thisted, Denmark
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Luggage!!!

Still don't know what to do :-(

Leaving for Florida in 5 days :-) - but am confused weather to bring check in luggage or just carry ons.

My "dilemma" is we only have 1hr 45min layover when we arrive in Atlanta going on to Fort Myers.

Want's to avoid the stressed transit by at least not having to worry about waiting for our luggage.

At the same time - if we have to wait in security line before we can pick up our luggage, then maybe we can go straight to the luggage claim afterwards?

Anyone done this, and can give any advise?

Our flight is CPH-AMS-ATL-RSW so we will have to go through customs.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage!!!

Atlanta immigration and customs can be very hit and miss. I've taken 3 hours to get through the airport yet I have also got through in just over 30 minutes. i do not recommend checking in baggage if you have the choice to avoid doing so

Thisted, Denmark
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage!!!

Hmm... yeah, but what about the possibillity that after immigration/customs the bags are ready for us at the baggage claim?

As far as I know we don't have to recheck our bags, just put it on another.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
512 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage!!!

I've never taken a connection at Atlanta, only arrived there. By the time you have got through immigration the luggage is usually on the carousel. You then clear customs and then connecting passengers go to the right and passengers for Atlanta go to the left. All baggage is then deposited onto another carousel, you have to go through security ( even to get into Atlanta ! )and then get on a train to either leave the airport or get to the pier where the connecting flight departs from ( all international flights arrive at section E ).

Its a really bizarre Airport to arrive at !

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage!!!

OP-you have asked the question a few times, and not sure what else you can expect in the way of advice. I realize that you are stressing a lot on this but only 1 of 2 things will happen

1. You make the connection as required.

2. You are delayed and spend a night in Atlanta in a hotel heading to Fort Myers the next morning. (since I think you said before the connecting flight is the last of the day).

There's really no upside to continuing to fret about it. Most people who have traveled have been delayed one way or the other, and you just have to take it in stride

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k4497716…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k4509646…

Thisted, Denmark
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage!!!

Yes!

I will now stop fussing about it.

Take it as it comes, there is nothing I can do about it once we're on our way!

6. Re: Luggage!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 15:18