We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smartfares.com

San Antonio, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Smartfares.com

Has anyone used Smartfares.com for a multi-city overseas travel lately. They have a good deal for my need but I am nervous due to negative reviews in the past years on this site.

Thanks in advance!

87 replies to this topic
Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
65 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Smartfares.com

Well Adventure Perth - When a company puts in writing a Guarantee(see my post above), and a customer pays them for that Guarantee - and then, the company blatantly refuses to honor their Guarantee - what do you think? Is this someone you wish to do business with?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Smartfares.com

Thanks for your comprehensive response . It's a shame that in Australia we r not getting as good deal with Airlines directly as other countries seems to get. If I book via travel agent it cost me $4980 (after bargaining ), Airline direct $7800. Same fare base. How rediculous is that!

Back to topic , going to stay away from smartfares!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Smartfares.com

Thanks for your comprehensive response . It's a shame that in Australia we r not getting as good deal with Airlines directly as other countries seems to get. If I book via travel agent it cost me $4980 (after bargaining ), Airline direct $7800. Same fare base. How rediculous is that!

Back to topic , going to stay away from smartfares!

Since typing the above, I am now booked throu Expedia , had to change my dates, but after reading above its well worth it, as a working mum, can not go through more stress :)

Thanks so much fellow travellers for your advise

Thousand Oaks...
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Smartfares.com

I have been trying to get my ticket re-issued for the past two months. Virgin won't deal with me directly, so I have to go through these douchbags. I have been hung up on 3 times tonight alone. I have probably called 10+ times.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
65 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Smartfares.com

Here you go Jessica - I did some digging and found this post (here on Trip Advisor) that I remembered had contained very useful info. I didn't find it until After my debacle with SmartFares, but it should be helpful to you.. This is from Gracie-boo of Seattle WA.:

Re: Flight to Fiji

Sep 07, 2012, 2:49 PM

OP - did you read through the terms and conditions of booking?

I note that they may charge you a $30 "processing" fee per ticket. If you purchase by phone, they may add up to a $50 per ticket charge. Note if you have nonrefundable tickets (and who doesn't), you will be charged not only the airline's fee to change your tickets, but Smartfares is going to charge you a fee on top of that - up to $200 per ticket if you are traveling seven days or more away from the change date, and up to $300 per ticket if you are traveling within seven days.

Do you really think purchasing on this webpage is going to save you money?

The person who owns smartfares.com/smartfares.net and travelation.com is the owner of LBF Travel.

http://www.lbftravel.com/

Here is info on smartfares.com:

Administrative Contact:

Thomas, Michael mhthomas@gmail.com

5366 La Jolla Blvd C302, La Jolla, CA 92027 Fax.

United States

Tel. +1.2154980833

Picture of the condo at this address is:

trulia.com/property/3076008136-5366-La-Jolla…

And:

Registrant Contact:

LBF Travel, Inc.

MIchael Thomas

2488 Historic Decatur Road

San Diego, CA 92106

US

Picture of this property:

loopnet.com/Listing/…

No idea if they actually work out of their home or an office. I would take a pass on smartfares.com/smartfares.net or LBF Travel.

Edited: 2:51 pm, September 07, 2012

Alexandria, Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Smartfares.com

Don't use smartfares.com. I bought two airline tickets from them, they charged me $400 for a name changed, My daughter's name changed and I notify them within 24hours, not only they charged me $400 they also charged me for another airline ticket which is much more than the first one then refused to refund my first ticket, in other word they charged me three tickets for two person plus $400. I wrote them several emails none of them answered, I spoke to the manager several times but just kept promising she will take care of the problem. After almost two months I finally called my credit card co. and reverse the charge. I reported them to BBB. This is the worst business I have ever encountered.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Smartfares.com

Thanks for sharing

Following the previous emails I first approached Flight Center which were a bit of arrogant ....., went home and booked via Expedia , very painless :)

P B
NYC
1 post
Save Reply
18. Re: Smartfares.com

They are a completely fraudulent website. i made a reservation on 11th Sept, they sent an email saying the confirmed etkts would be sent in 24 hrs. After 2 days of not hearing from them, the rude customer reps said my credit card had been declined. However, i was never informed of this. They had just called me asking the names of the travellers and promising me the confirmations in a couple of hours. When i called back they said my cc was declined, and now the price has gone up. I checked with my bank and they said there was no declined charge on the card, so I m not sure if these smartfare guys are telling the truth. Now I have to book my tickets at a higher price. I m never using them again, and hopefully if there are enough defrauded customers, we can take them to court.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Smartfares.com

I checked with my bank and they said there was no declined charge on the card, so I m not sure if these smartfare guys are telling the truth.

-------- Are you serious, after all the previous similar posts in this and other threads you "aren't sure"???? Wake up and smell the coffee! Don't be taken in by these sort of ads, don't waste your time looking for "a deal" because generally you'll get taken for a ride.

Now I have to book my tickets at a higher price.

------------ The tickets were never available at that price !! You need to understand that. The whole thing was a come-on to get you hooked and then pay the higher one.

I m never using them again, and hopefully if there are enough defrauded customers, we can take them to court.

--------LOL in what way were you defrauded? Mislead yes. Gullible yes, Defrauded, no.

Summerland, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Smartfares.com

Would suggest avoiding smartfares.com.

Booked a Westjet flight 24 hours before departure thru smartfares. Received confirmation email and when I went to the airport to check in, no record of my booking whatsoever. Paid for the same flight at the airport and received awesome help from Westjet. Checked with Visa and no charge was put thru by smartfares.com.

Don't need this kind of hassle. Will never use them again.

Reply to: Smartfares.com
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted