We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smartfares.com

San Antonio, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Smartfares.com

Has anyone used Smartfares.com for a multi-city overseas travel lately. They have a good deal for my need but I am nervous due to negative reviews in the past years on this site.

Thanks in advance!

91 replies to this topic
41. Re: Smartfares.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 16:35

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Smartfares.com

They are a completely fraudulent website. i made a reservation on 11th Sept, they sent an email saying the confirmed tickets would be sent in 24 hrs. After 2 days of not hearing from them, the rude customer reps said my credit card had been declined. However, i was never informed of this. They had just called me asking the names of the travelers and promising me the confirmations in a couple of hours. When i called back they said my cc was declined, and now the price has gone up. I checked with my bank and they said there was no declined charge on the card. Now I have to book my tickets at a higher price. I m never using them again, and hopefully if there are enough defrauded customers, we can take them to court.

43. Re: Smartfares.com

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 June 2014, 16:35

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Smartfares.com

Sarah H so you never paid them any money, and didn't get anything from them. Apart from the cost of a phone call, I'm not sure quite what element of "Fraud" there is.

45. Re: Smartfares.com

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 21:35

46. Re: Smartfares.com

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 21:35

1 post
Save Reply
47. Re: Smartfares.com

I checked all the travel sights routinely to check for the best prices for a trip my wife and I were taking to Paris France. The cheapest was always Smartfares.com. I clicked on the flight I wanted and put in my credit card information, name, address, etc. and hit 'Order'.

I was immediately told by the site that the flight was sold out. Within a minute someone from SmartFares called and asked if I wanted to book a flight for the trip- at the same price as every other site. I said no. The next day the same thing happened. A flight for $300.00 less than everyone else showed up on their site. I again put in my information; again was told it was sold out and again received a call from SmartFares within one minute.

At this point I told them that they were scam artists and only kept the fake price up to get people to call them- to get their phone number. I said I was going to report them. The woman on the line said for me to hold for a minute. When she came back on the line she said she could give me the price listed on the site.

Two days later my bank statement showed three charges- two each for $950.00 and a separate one for $136.00- I guess their booking fee.

Two days later a separate TWO charges appeared from the airline (Finnair) for $950.00.

I was charged twice for the same trip. A call to the carrier (Finnair) proved useless. They told me that even though the bank listing had Finnair on the charge, that it was really SmartFares that charged it. She mentioned that this charge would probably 'drop-off', as it was just a charge on the card to check if I actually had the money in my account. She likened it to the way a gas station 'holds' a charge of $100.00, even if you're buying just $20.00 worth of gas.

My bank could not answer any questions about the charge. Who charged it the second time? Is there a number or code from the company that charged it? They said they didn't know anything about the charge other than SOMEONE charged it. When I called SmartFares back they were VERY high pressure trying to get me to say something about how I wanted to cancel the flights. This was because there was a $400.00 charge to cancel each ticket. Pure free money for them. I made it VERY clear I wanted the original tickets. I have an app on my phone that records conversations just to make sure.

I am now waiting on pins and needles to see if this charge shows up again. My bank says it can dispute the charge and THEN find out who made the charge and when. The frustration factor was off the charts. Blood pressure through the roof. We have saved so long for this trip and don't want to be charged twice.

Bottom line? DO NOT, under ANY circumstances use SmartFares.com. Pay the extra money and go with a direct line to the carrier itself or use one of the larger sites like Expedia or Priceline. This deal that seemed too good to be true wasn't. I should have known better.

How are places like this allowed to operate? If this charge goes through again, as the bank said it might, I will sue this company and update this review. Rip-off scam artists like this are allowed to operate because NO ONE in the US cares about anything other than money. From now on I will pay the airlines directly.

Keep away from Smartfares like the plague.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,539 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Smartfares.com

"How are places like this allowed to operate?" - Because you and all the others who use them are lured in by their advertising of low fares, if you along with everybody else followed your advice of booking direct with the airline or at least used a reputable (mostly) 3rd party such as Expedia then businesses such as smartfares wouldn't exist for long.

However that's not going to happen whilst there is a ready supply of customers chasing that elusive low fare without conducting any pre purchase research.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Smartfares.com

Completely agree with TomC97, Smartfares and their counterparts will always thrive as long as there is a long line of customers willing to throw their money away.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Smartfares.com

I suspect it's just the hold, it will drop off when the merchant confirms the charge and the real one goes through. The bank agent was telling you the truth. They are holding the funds so you can't spend more than your limit.

Doesn't justify using smart fares, but it's normal banking practice and has nothing to do with the agency.

Reply to: Smartfares.com
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted