We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

b.a. handbaggage

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
b.a. handbaggage

hi. i don't know if i'm being silly. but this seems a bit too good to be true;

britishairways.com/travel/…en_gb

it seems, according to this, that we can take up to 23kg each as handbaggage. this is in addition to the two bags not exceeding 23kg each, for each person as hold baggage [gatwick-st.lucia prem. economy] printed on our e-ticket.

i am sizing up the kitchen sink as i type.........

pam

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,034 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: b.a. handbaggage

Pam

never mind about sizing up the kitchen sink - better get started on the weight lifting training to make sure you can lift 51lbs into the overhead locker. LOL

That's pretty amazing!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: b.a. handbaggage

That may be the case, but I doubt many people can lift more than 20 lbs overhead. If I were you I'd limit carryon to 10kilos (22 pounds) and even that's pushing it a bit.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,859 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: b.a. handbaggage

You almost wonder if someone has made a mistake on the website --23 lbs I can see, but 23 kilos?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,902 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: b.a. handbaggage

BA's hand baggage weight limit is 23 kg, it's true. The airline asks that pax be able to hoist bags in and out of the overhead lockers without assistance from cabin crew, a reasonable request I think.

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: b.a. handbaggage

of course; not only do you have to be able to lift it, but also you must stay within the size limits.........

but it will make the whole packing thing easier than usual, i think.

pam

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
37,454 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: b.a. handbaggage

Definately 23kg. which shouldn't be a problem for men (and some women) to lift.

BMI don't have a weight limit - as long as it's within size and you can lift it yourself.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,283 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: b.a. handbaggage

pam_redboots

This is one of the largest competitive advantages BA has over Virgin. Virgin allows you 13lbs/6kgs of hand luggage...even in Premium Economy. I just love BA!

Safe Travels

Regards

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: b.a. handbaggage

<<the airline asks that pax be able to hoist bags in and out of the overhead lockers without assistance from cabin crew, a reasonable request I think.>>

Yes, but since they don't check you can, what happens when some diminutive person is saying "oh deary me I cannot lift this what shall I do?" - answer, they let someone else hurt themselves trying to lift it, and post a rant here about how the cabin crew wouldn't help them.

A S
London, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: b.a. handbaggage

Just try to pack as much as possible into your hand luggage. Ideally no more than 15kg. I think you are even allowed a personal item with you like a laptop. I'm pretty sure nice enough passengers would help you put your suitcase in the overhead compartments.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: b.a. handbaggage

When I moved home after living abroad I wanted to take as much with me as possible so I packed a lot of books etc in my handluggage, it weight 17kg! But it was a small size and they didn't weight it luckily (wasn't BA) and I was able to lift it myself.

I'm flying BA soon JFK - London so this sounds good to me!