We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time zone confusion

New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Topic
Time zone confusion

Going to Seychelles next year and have just been going through all available flights. I am confused by the fact that if we leave on a friday we wont be arriving until sunday. Are we really traveling for 2 days or is it because of the time differences that it seems that way?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if it's sunday in seychelles is it really saturday in new york city and should we leave an extra day earlier to allow for the time difference.

I want to spend seven days there not 5..know what I mean.

HELP!!!! It's the farthest we've been away from home!!!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,804 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time zone confusion

The Seychelles is 11 hours ahead of NYC in summer - yes, it's basically one day ahead of you, so better leave early if you want to spend 7 full days there.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time zone confusion

The Seychelles (Victoria) is +8 hrs NYC time, not 11.

The following is from

travelmath.com/flight-time/from/JFK/to/SEZ

"The total flight duration from JFK to SEZ is 16 hours, 53 minutes.

This assumes an average flight speed for a commercial airliner of 500 mph, which is equivalent to 805 km/hr or 434 knots. Your exact time may vary depending on wind speeds.

Remember to add more time for take-off and landing. This measurement is only for the actual flying time.

The calculation of flight time is based on the straight line flight distance from JFK to SEZ ("as the crow flies"), which is about 8,445 miles or 13,590 kilometers."

So, if you want 7 full days in the Seychelles, you need to either leave earlier from home, or extend the dates you intend to be there. Remember, coming back you gain ...

Example - at the time of posting this response, it is 3.16am Sunday 26 June in Seychelles and it is 7.16pm Saturday 25th June NYC.

Edited: 26 June 2011, 00:20
New York City, New...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Time zone confusion

Oh wow..I'm really liking this site. Thanks to all the fellow travelers out there for answering my question!

Have any of you been to Seychelles before? I've been wanting to go for the last twenty years and all of my 2 best friends and I are headed down to celebrate our 40th b'day(we all turn 40 in the span of 3 months from each other).

Thanks again for your help!

Seychelles or Bust!!!

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time zone confusion

The Seychelles are 8 hours ahead of New York. This means that when you fly there it will "seem" to take longer because as well as the flight time you will lose 8 hours.

However when you fly home the flight will "seem" to be much shorter because you will gain the 8 hours back again. Of course the flight time will remain the same it is just the local time at your destination that is different.

To really blow your mind try flying across the Pacific from west to east - even after spending hours in the air you can actually arrive the day before you leave!!!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time zone confusion

at approx 8:05PM Saturday in NYC, it is 4:08AM Sunday morning in Seychelles.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,804 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time zone confusion

I was just coming back to correct my mistake (I was counting from Portland!)

If you have Firefox, the Foxclocks add-on is great for this sort of thing - shows the day and local time in most locations around the world right on your screen.

Edited: 26 June 2011, 01:12
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time zone confusion

It's really not that hard. Times on flight schedules are always listed in local airport time. Therefore if it says the flight arrives at Seychelles at 10AM Sunday, that would be Seychelles time. That's why a flight may seem so long when it's actually not. The schedules take the time zones into account.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,243 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time zone confusion

The flight from NYC to the Seychelles will not only seem to be longer,it will actually be longer than the return flight as you are flying against the prevailing winds.depending on the time of year,this can add 1hr to your outbound flight and take 1hr off your return with the tailwinds eastbound.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,911 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time zone confusion

www.timeanddate.com will be a new friend, frederika.

There are plenty of functions at the website including calculating the time in place X versus your home time; the sunrise and sunset timetables are very handy as well.

10. Re: Time zone confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 07:18