We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

insurance what a joke

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
insurance what a joke

please help just called my insurers to check if covered as i have a flight with virgin booked for aug 1.

I have then booked and paid for internal flights to vancouver island from san francisco, car hire, hotels, trips etc and have just been told by insurers that i am only covered in the event of the strike (flight) not anything else. i would not be able to be refunded any other costs i.e the road trip we have booked and planned to vancouver island and back to san fran then on to yesomite. i have paid for a loty of this trip already. I asked insurer if I can top up to cover it and she said there is not a facility. please can anyone help me so i can try and cover the rest of trip before strike announced. thanks

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,805 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: insurance what a joke

The level of cover can vary from policy to policy and the cheaper policies only generally offer very basic cover.

This is the downside to booking independent elements as compared to a package holiday.

Cover for independently booked elements only comes with the more expensive policies - I have an M & S policy with an independent travel add on that covers me for indepently booked hotels etc in the event of any disruption to my flight.

If you current insurer will not offer cover for your independent elements the only option I can see is to take out a new policy with another insurer that will provide cover.

You will certainly have to do this before any strike dates are announced and I would make sure that I was specifically covered before proceeding with purchase - make sure you are fully aware of the fine print.

TomC

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,611 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: insurance what a joke

I am in the midst of trying to claim my travel insurance for delays experienced on a recent trip. The scope is much more restrictive than I had thought. Read the fine print to ensure you understand the policy before purchasing.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
255 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: insurance what a joke

thanks on phone with m and s as i write this. cheers

4. Re: insurance what a joke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 18:16